testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

shankarkc78@gmail.com
Hi all,
 I have 2 tests. TestA and testB
TestA -> fails firsttime and passes on retry
TestB dependent on TestA using dependsOnMethods = "testA" attribute.
TestA uses retry analyzer @Test(retryAnalyzer = RetryAnalyzer.class) so that it can be rerun on failure.

Now the current behavior as below :-
1. TestA fails for 1st attempt and get retried.
2. TestA passes in 2nd attempt.
3. TestB marked as skipped.

I would expect TestB not to get skipped as latest result of testA is pass.
I have attached source code here to repro the same. Please let me know how to make testB run on retry. I dont want it to get marked as skipped.
I did post the same question in testNG-DEV. I havnt received any reply yet. May be they are bit busy as lot of people will request answers to their questions. I think this is a common problem and many might have faced it and found some solution already. So i am posting my question here aswell.
Thanks
Shankar KC

TestNGTests.zip (1M) Download Attachment

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝
Shankar,
What version of TestNG were you using?
How are you running your tests?

Perhaps you might wanna include this info as well!

On Sunday, September 23, 2012, shankar KC wrote:
[...]

Now I am able to run the skipped test with this approach. Now the tests that are dependent are running but i still see that test suite reports that tests failed.
@Override
public boolean retry(ITestResult result) {
if (count < maxCount) {
result.setStatus(ITestResult.SKIP); // we set the status to skipped and remove this result so that on rerun if we have dependency it uses latest result.
result.getTestContext().getSkippedTests().removeResult(result.getMethod());
count++;
return true;
}
return false;

}
Though testNG shows all tests passed overall testsuite result showing suite as failure. It shows first iteration failure as failure exception. I have attached an image showing that. Any pointers to resolve the issue appreciated.
Thanks
Shankar KC

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:40:47 PM UTC+5:30, shankar KC wrote:
[...]

rerunFailedTests.jpg (48K) Download Attachment

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

soravikr
I tried your solution to run the dependent testcases but it didnt work for me can you please help me.

For more options, visit this group at <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en.

My Scribblings @ <a href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

soravikr
Even though a testcase passes in retry its dependent testcases are skipped.As you mentioned I made the result of the testcase skip and removed from the results even then the dependent testcase skips.

On May 28, 2015 9:14 PM, "soravikr" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="bW0ZtpJvKegJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">r.sow...@...> wrote:

For more options, visit this group at <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en.

My Scribblings @ <a href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

soravikr
Hi Shankar,

           Thanks for you reply.your solution worked...Thank you so much :)

Visit this group at <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users';return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users.

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

nisha.boban
Hi Shankar,
                I am facing the same issue, can you share the code that worked for Soravikr.

Thank you,
Karthika

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:16:15 AM UTC-7, shankar KC wrote:

Np glad it worked for you

On May 29, 2015 10:39 AM, "soravikr" <<a onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;" href="javascript:" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="6chp-bz-dtIJ">r.sow...@...> wrote:

For more options, visit this group at <a onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl\75en';return true;" href="http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en.

My Scribblings @ <a onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ';return true;" href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

Visit this group at <a onmousedown="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users';return true;" href="http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users.

Re: testng skips dependency tests when dependent test passed on retry

soravikr
Hi Karthika,

              In my case,There are testcases that depend on another testcase. If the first testcase fails and passed in retry its dependent testcases are skipped.

              If your issue is same as this,you can use the below solution It worked for me.

              result.getTestContext().getFailedTests().removeResult(result.getMethod());

              Include the above line in retry method