[testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

[testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

zathras
TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports, and this is not what I want. I can't use a report listener,because I'm running in ADO, and they only use the default report builder. I don't want this number appended, because it effectly changes the test name, so test case history is skewed, if I have retries on failure.

I've tried all of the renaming techniques I could find, and they work fine, except for the [<incident>] number appended to the name.

Here's and example of what I'm seeing. The ones with dataproviders have the unwanted appendage.

<testsuite name="test.RetryExperiment" tests="7" skipped="0" failures="0" errors="0" timestamp="2019-03-18T11:57:07" hostname="ebishop" time="38.206">
<properties/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [0](a, thing for a)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.002"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [1](b, thing for b)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [2](x, thing for x)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [0](Durok, red)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [1](Hampshire, Black with white stripe.)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [2](Chester White, White)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.simpleRetryTest " classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>

Re: [testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

I didnt quite understand this. Why do you say you cannot use/build your own listener?

Also can you please tell me what xml report are you referring to here?

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 AM zathras <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In ADO, they only use reports created from the default Junit reporter. I have not tried overriding the TestNG default reporter, but I assume it's the same deal.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM ⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝ <[hidden email]> wrote:

I didnt quite understand this. Why do you say you cannot use/build your own listener?

Also can you please tell me what xml report are you referring to here?

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 AM zathras <[hidden email]> wrote:
TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports, and this is not what I want. I can't use a report listener,because I'm running in ADO, and they only use the default report builder. I don't want this number appended, because it effectly changes the test name, so test case history is skewed, if I have retries on failure.

I've tried all of the renaming techniques I could find, and they work fine, except for the [<incident>] number appended to the name.

Here's and example of what I'm seeing. The ones with dataproviders have the unwanted appendage.

<testsuite name="test.RetryExperiment" tests="7" skipped="0" failures="0" errors="0" timestamp="2019-03-18T11:57:07" hostname="ebishop" time="38.206">
<properties/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [0](a, thing for a)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.002"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [1](b, thing for b)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [2](x, thing for x)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [0](Durok, red)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [1](Hampshire, Black with white stripe.)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [2](Chester White, White)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.simpleRetryTest " classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>

Re: [testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝
Have you tried extending the default JUnit Reporter that TestNG provides, customize it to your needs and then work with it ?
You could try disabling the default reports. That way the one that TestNG internally has is not used, and yours get used instead.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 2:47 AM Eddie Bishop <[hidden email]> wrote:

I didnt quite understand this. Why do you say you cannot use/build your own listener?

Also can you please tell me what xml report are you referring to here?

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 AM zathras <[hidden email]> wrote:
TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports, and this is not what I want. I can't use a report listener,because I'm running in ADO, and they only use the default report builder. I don't want this number appended, because it effectly changes the test name, so test case history is skewed, if I have retries on failure.

I've tried all of the renaming techniques I could find, and they work fine, except for the [<incident>] number appended to the name.

Here's and example of what I'm seeing. The ones with dataproviders have the unwanted appendage.

<testsuite name="test.RetryExperiment" tests="7" skipped="0" failures="0" errors="0" timestamp="2019-03-18T11:57:07" hostname="ebishop" time="38.206">
<properties/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [0](a, thing for a)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.002"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [1](b, thing for b)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [2](x, thing for x)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [0](Durok, red)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [1](Hampshire, Black with white stripe.)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [2](Chester White, White)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.simpleRetryTest " classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>

Re: [testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

zathras
How do I disable the default?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:37 PM ⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you tried extending the default JUnit Reporter that TestNG provides, customize it to your needs and then work with it ?
You could try disabling the default reports. That way the one that TestNG internally has is not used, and yours get used instead.

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 2:47 AM Eddie Bishop <[hidden email]> wrote:

I didnt quite understand this. Why do you say you cannot use/build your own listener?

Also can you please tell me what xml report are you referring to here?

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 AM zathras <[hidden email]> wrote:
TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports, and this is not what I want. I can't use a report listener,because I'm running in ADO, and they only use the default report builder. I don't want this number appended, because it effectly changes the test name, so test case history is skewed, if I have retries on failure.

I've tried all of the renaming techniques I could find, and they work fine, except for the [<incident>] number appended to the name.

Here's and example of what I'm seeing. The ones with dataproviders have the unwanted appendage.

<testsuite name="test.RetryExperiment" tests="7" skipped="0" failures="0" errors="0" timestamp="2019-03-18T11:57:07" hostname="ebishop" time="38.206">
<properties/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [0](a, thing for a)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.002"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [1](b, thing for b)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest [2](x, thing for x)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [0](Durok, red)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [1](Hampshire, Black with white stripe.)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.dataProviderRetryTest2 [2](Chester White, White)" classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.001"/>
<testcase name="RetryExperiment.simpleRetryTest " classname="test.RetryExperiment" time="0.0"/>

Re: [testng-dev] TestNG appends instance count to the test name in reports

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝
If you are running with Maven, you can add it as a property to your surefire plugin section.

Something like this:

<plugin>
    <version>2.19.1</version>
    <executions>