[testng-dev] TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

[testng-dev] TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Rogerio Liesenfeld
Hello,

While upgrading the JMockit project to use TestNG 6.4, I noticed that
when running the test suites with IDEA 11, an exception is  always
thrown (below). IDEA reports "All Tests Passed", but without showing
the tree with individual tests.

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket
write error
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:
92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream
$BlockDataOutputStream.drain(ObjectOutputStream.java:1847)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream
$BlockDataOutputStream.setBlockDataMode(ObjectOutputStream.java:1756)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeNonProxyDesc(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1257)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeClassDesc(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1211)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1395)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1158)
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeFatalException(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1547)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:
333)
        at
org.testng.remote.strprotocol.SerializedMessageSender.sendMessage(SerializedMessageSender.java:
25)
        at
org.testng.remote.strprotocol.MessageHub.sendMessage(MessageHub.java:
44)
        at
org.testng.remote.strprotocol.RemoteTestListener.onTestSuccess(RemoteTestListener.java:
92)
        at org.testng.internal.Invoker.runTestListeners(Invoker.java:1888)
        at org.testng.internal.Invoker.runTestListeners(Invoker.java:1868)
        at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeMethod(Invoker.java:774)
        at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeTestMethod(Invoker.java:893)
        at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeTestMethods(Invoker.java:1218)
        at
org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.invokeTestMethods(TestMethodWorker.java:
127)
        at org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.run(TestMethodWorker.java:
111)
        at org.testng.TestRunner.privateRun(TestRunner.java:758)
        at org.testng.TestRunner.run(TestRunner.java:613)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runTest(SuiteRunner.java:334)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runSequentially(SuiteRunner.java:329)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.privateRun(SuiteRunner.java:291)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunner.run(SuiteRunner.java:240)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.runSuite(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:53)
        at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.run(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:87)
        at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesSequentially(TestNG.java:1170)
        at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesLocally(TestNG.java:1095)
        at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.java:1007)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.run(RemoteTestNG.java:109)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.initAndRun(RemoteTestNG.java:202)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.main(RemoteTestNG.java:173)
        at org.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter.main(RemoteTestNGStarter.java:106)
        at
39)
        at
25)
        at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:
120)

This happens with two different test suites. Executing them with Ant
or with Maven, however, still works fine. So, the problem appears to
be only with the IDEA plugin.

[testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Maksim Khadkevich
TestNG 6.3 does not have the above described problem with the latest
intelliJ idea 11.0.2 . The solution could be a downgrade.

On Feb 24, 5:52 pm, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.initAndRun(RemoteTestNG.java:202)
> >        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.main(RemoteTestNG.java:173)
> >        at org.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter.main(RemoteTestNGStarter.java:106)
> >        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> >        at
> > sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
> > 39)
> >        at
>
> > sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
> > 25)
> >        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> >        at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:
> > 120)
>
> > This happens with two different test suites. Executing them with Ant
> > or with Maven, however, still works fine. So, the problem appears to

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Mark Derricutt
This is now fixed in the current 11.1 RC builds.

See https://plus.google.com/113913703302067206043/posts/Qf5iScv8Gst for
screenshots of what you now see when using 6.4.

On Mon Mar 26 02:03:07 2012, Maksim Khadkevich wrote:
> TestNG 6.3 does not have the above described problem with the latest
> intelliJ idea 11.0.2 . The solution could be a downgrade.

[testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Ivan Hrytsyuk
Just upgraded to IDEA-11.1.1 and could see the dialog from your
screenshot. Pressed button 'copy' and now all tests hang without any
messages.

On Mar 25, 10:41 pm, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is now fixed in the current 11.1 RC builds.
>
> Seehttps://plus.google.com/113913703302067206043/posts/Qf5iScv8Gstfor
> screenshots of what you now see when using 6.4.

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Cédric Beust ♔-2
You might want to post this in the IDEA forums.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Ivan Hrytsyuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just upgraded to IDEA-11.1.1 and could see the dialog from your
screenshot. Pressed button 'copy' and now all tests hang without any
messages.

On Mar 25, 10:41 pm, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is now fixed in the current 11.1 RC builds.
>
> Seehttps://plus.google.com/113913703302067206043/posts/Qf5iScv8Gstfor
> screenshots of what you now see when using 6.4.

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Mark Derricutt
I noticed this myself last night with the final release, looks like
something regressed :(

Time to hit the forums :(

On 31/03/12 8:41 AM, Ivan Hrytsyuk wrote:

> Just upgraded to IDEA-11.1.1 and could see the dialog from your
> screenshot. Pressed button 'copy' and now all tests hang without any
> messages.
>
> On Mar 25, 10:41 pm, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is now fixed in the current 11.1 RC builds.
>>
>> Seehttps://plus.google.com/113913703302067206043/posts/Qf5iScv8Gstfor
>> screenshots of what you now see when using 6.4.

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Mark Derricutt
Is this actually a problem?

I was 1/2 way thru writing a post to the forum about it, and went to
confirm the problem, and couldn't reproduce it on the 118.103 build I'm
using, so then downloaded the 117.117 release ( The final 11.1.1
release ) and that seems to also work fine.

The first time I ran my tests they ran using the internal version of
TestNG and I received the message about compatibility issues, clicked
the 'copy' button and restarted IDEA and the tests then ran as normal,
without the error message.

This was on OSX.....  Ivan - did you restart IDEA like it prompts or
did you choose "postpone"?  Also, what OS are running on?

I did see this problem on a build earlier in the week, but I'm unable
to reproduce with the current release version...

I'll hold off submitting this post to the Jetbrains forums till I here
back from others?

On Sat Mar 31 12:52:05 2012, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
> Please post a link to the discussion once it's started...

[testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Ivan Hrytsyuk
Yes I did restart IDEA.
After I had read your post I started thinking that the problem is
related with updating from IDEA 11.1 to 11.1.1 via Jetbrains patch.
So I decided to download 11.1.1 version from Jetbrains site and
install it from the scratch.

Here are my steps:
 1. install 11.1.1 version
 2. run single test with TestNG-6.3
 3. update my pom.xml to use TestNG-6.4 and re-run the same test
 4. The mentioned dialog appeared. Click copy.
 5. Restarted IDEA
 6. Run the test - and it hangs again. Took thread dump of JVM (is
placed at the end)
 7. Downgraded to TestNG-6.3 - but the test still hangs.

Looks like the only way to have TestNG working again is to re-install
IDEA :(

My environment: Win7 32 bit, JDK 6.0_27

My test:
    @Test
    public void testNull() {
        Assert.assertNotNull(new Object());
    }

Dump of main thread:
"main" prio=6 tid=0x01a91c00 nid=0xf24 runnable [0x001bf000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
        - locked <0x23e5f600> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:
213)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at
org.testng.remote.strprotocol.BaseMessageSender.connect(BaseMessageSender.java:
58)
        at org.testng.remote.strprotocol.MessageHub.connect(MessageHub.java:
32)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.run(RemoteTestNG.java:84)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.initAndRun(RemoteTestNG.java:202)
        at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.main(RemoteTestNG.java:173)
        at org.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter.main(RemoteTestNGStarter.java:111)

On Mar 31, 3:32 am, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this actually a problem?
>
> I was 1/2 way thru writing a post to the forum about it, and went to
> confirm the problem, and couldn't reproduce it on the 118.103 build I'm
> using, so then downloaded the 117.117 release ( The final 11.1.1
> release ) and that seems to also work fine.
>
> The first time I ran my tests they ran using the internal version of
> TestNG and I received the message about compatibility issues, clicked
> the 'copy' button and restarted IDEA and the tests then ran as normal,
> without the error message.
>
> This was on OSX.....  Ivan - did you restart IDEA like it prompts or
> did you choose "postpone"?  Also, what OS are running on?
>
> I did see this problem on a build earlier in the week, but I'm unable
> to reproduce with the current release version...
>
> I'll hold off submitting this post to the Jetbrains forums till I here
> back from others?
>
> On Sat Mar 31 12:52:05 2012, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
>

> > Please post a link to the discussion once it's started...

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Anna.M.Kozlova@gmail.com
Ivan, could you please check what is the version of the testng.jar in
the IDEA_INSTALLATION_FOLDER/plugins/testng/lib after the copy? If it
is 6.4, please check the command line which was used by IDEA to run
tests: it should containg testng6.4 jar. Otherwise (with testng6.3)
the same incompatibility problem arise.
Anna

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Ivan Hrytsyuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> release ) and that seems to also work fine.
>>
>> The first time I ran my tests they ran using the internal version of
>> TestNG and I received the message about compatibility issues, clicked
>> the 'copy' button and restarted IDEA and the tests then ran as normal,
>> without the error message.
>>
>> This was on OSX.....  Ivan - did you restart IDEA like it prompts or
>> did you choose "postpone"?  Also, what OS are running on?
>>
>> I did see this problem on a build earlier in the week, but I'm unable
>> to reproduce with the current release version...
>>
>> I'll hold off submitting this post to the Jetbrains forums till I here
>> back from others?
>>
>> On Sat Mar 31 12:52:05 2012, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
>>

>> > Please post a link to the discussion once it's started...

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Neither 6.4 nor 6.3.
There is no version info in the testng.jar manifest file. But when I replaced those jar file with testng-6.3.jar - 'Run Test' context menu item disappeared in IDEA.
Also nothing changed (i.e. the test still hang) when I added testng-6.3.jar to IDEA_INSTALLATION_FOLDER/plugins/testng/lib/ directory so both initial testng.jar and new testng-6.3.jar are present there.

Command line (without the testng-6.3.jar) is next: C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin\java -Didea.launcher.port=7532 "-Didea.launcher.bin.path=C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 11.1.1\bin" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath "C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 11.1.1\plugins\testng\lib\testng.jar;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 11.1.1\plugins\testng\lib\testng-jdk15.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\charsets.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\deploy.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\javaws.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\management-agent.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\plugin.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\resources.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\ext\dnsns.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\ext\localedata.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\ext\sunjce_provider.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\ext\sunmscapi.jar;C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\lib\ext\sunpkcs11.jar;J:\VOVA\trunk\target\test-classes;J:\VOVA\trunk\target\classes;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\com\ihrytsyuk\http-core\1.0\http-core-1.0.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\apache\httpcomponents\httpclient\4.1.2\httpclient-4.1.2.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\apache\httpcomponents\httpcore\4.1.2\httpcore-4.1.2.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\commons-logging\commons-logging\1.1.1\commons-logging-1.1.1.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\commons-codec\commons-codec\1.4\commons-codec-1.4.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\commons-io\commons-io\1.4\commons-io-1.4.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\slf4j\slf4j-log4j12\1.6.1\slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\slf4j\slf4j-api\1.6.1\slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\log4j\log4j\1.2.16\log4j-1.2.16.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\jasypt\jasypt\1.7\jasypt-1.7.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\apache\commons\commons-lang3\3.0.1\commons-lang3-3.0.1.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\codehaus\jackson\jackson-mapper-asl\1.8.5\jackson-mapper-asl-1.8.5.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\codehaus\jackson\jackson-core-asl\1.8.5\jackson-core-asl-1.8.5.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\junit\junit\4.8.1\junit-4.8.1.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\testng\testng\6.3\testng-6.3.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\beanshell\bsh\2.0b4\bsh-2.0b4.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\com\beust\jcommander\1.12\jcommander-1.12.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\org\yaml\snakeyaml\1.6\snakeyaml-1.6.jar;C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\.m2\repository\net\sf\jtidy\jtidy\r938\jtidy-r938.jar;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 11.1.1\lib\idea_rt.jar" com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain org.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter -serport 50195 -usedefaultlisteners false -socket50196 -temp C:\Users\ihrytsyuk\AppData\Local\Temp\idea_testng3140112019025290114.tmp

2012/4/1 Anna Kozlova <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>> release ) and that seems to also work fine.
>>
>> The first time I ran my tests they ran using the internal version of
>> TestNG and I received the message about compatibility issues, clicked
>> the 'copy' button and restarted IDEA and the tests then ran as normal,
>> without the error message.
>>
>> This was on OSX.....  Ivan - did you restart IDEA like it prompts or
>> did you choose "postpone"?  Also, what OS are running on?
>>
>> I did see this problem on a build earlier in the week, but I'm unable
>> to reproduce with the current release version...
>>
>> I'll hold off submitting this post to the Jetbrains forums till I here
>> back from others?
>>
>> On Sat Mar 31 12:52:05 2012, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
>>

>> > Please post a link to the discussion once it's started...

Re: [testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Did you replace testng.jar or testng-jdk15.jar - the first file is the
plugin itself NOT testng.  The naming of that jar could probably be
improved to clearly identify that its the plugin.

On Mon Apr  2 09:15:29 2012, Ivan Hrytsyuk wrote:

> [...]

>     >> On Sat Mar 31 12:52:05 2012, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> > Please post a link to the discussion once it's started...
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-dev" group.
>     > To post to this group, send email [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group, send email [hidden email]
>     <mailto:testng-dev%[hidden email]>.
>     >

[testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

On Ubuntu-10.10 machine all works like a charm.

After I had pressed Copy button I noticed that it updated testng-
jdk15.jar. Before click it was 1.2 MB in size, after click - 1.3 MB.
It's obvious that issue can be reproduced only on Windows machines
because Windows keeps that jar locked.

On Apr 2, 12:51 am, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you replace testng.jar or testng-jdk15.jar - the first file is the
> plugin itself NOT testng.  The naming of that jar could probably be
> improved to clearly identify that its the plugin.

[testng-dev] Re: TestNG 6.4 apparently breaks the IntelliJ IDEA TestNG plugin

Ivan Hrytsyuk
A little update: after I copied new version of testng-jdk15.jar from
Linux to Windows 7 - everything works fine on Win7.