[testng-dev] Group settings broken in suite of suites

[testng-dev] Group settings broken in suite of suites

Philipp Maschke
Hi,

in the attached project I have a suite that uses the 'suite-files' construct to include other suites. I also defined an excluded group for the higher suite, which is supposed to override the group setting of the lower level suite. However the group settings of the higher level suite seem to be completely ignored when executing it.
I debugged a little using the TestNG class and the group settings for the higher suite did not even show up after parsing the suite file. Maybe that is the problem?

For me it feels like it should work that way, but if not I would appreciate some comments!

Best regards,
Philipp Maschke

PS: Other than that TestNG is a hell of a testing framework! Thanks a lot for all your efforts!

SuitesOfSuitesWithGroups.zip (1M) Download Attachment

[testng-dev] Re: Group settings broken in suite of suites

Philipp Maschke
No comments? Can anyone reproduce my problem? Is there a workaround?

I would really appreciate some kind of reaction to my post...

Am Montag, 12. November 2012 18:54:16 UTC+1 schrieb Philipp Maschke:
Hi,

in the attached project I have a suite that uses the 'suite-files' construct to include other suites. I also defined an excluded group for the higher suite, which is supposed to override the group setting of the lower level suite. However the group settings of the higher level suite seem to be completely ignored when executing it.
I debugged a little using the TestNG class and the group settings for the higher suite did not even show up after parsing the suite file. Maybe that is the problem?

For me it feels like it should work that way, but if not I would appreciate some comments!

Best regards,
Philipp Maschke

PS: Other than that TestNG is a hell of a testing framework! Thanks a lot for all your efforts!

Re: [testng-dev] Re: Group settings broken in suite of suites

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Philipp, sorry for the late response.

This is working as expected, there is no overriding happening with <suite-files>, the files defined this way are independent of each other.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Philipp Maschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hm... is there a workaround for this? Or are there any best-practices for running lots of tests with different configurations? We want to be able to run tests on developer machines ("local") and on a CI-server ("remote"), both of which require different methods to be excluded. We are currently using hierarchical suites for developers to be able to run all tests of a specific component, while the remote tests are executed using a suite of all suites. Any ideas?

Re: [testng-dev] Re: Group settings broken in suite of suites

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Your best bet is probably to create your own testng.xml file programmatically. Read all your .xml files, interpret them the way you want them (have some settings override, others, etc...) then create on XmlSuite in memory and pass it to TestNG.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Philipp Maschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hm... is there a workaround for this? Or are there any best-practices for running lots of tests with different configurations? We want to be able to run tests on developer machines ("local") and on a CI-server ("remote"), both of which require different methods to be excluded. We are currently using hierarchical suites for developers to be able to run all tests of a specific component, while the remote tests are executed using a suite of all suites. Any ideas?

Re: [testng-dev] Re: Group settings broken in suite of suites

Philipp Maschke
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.