[testng-dev] Feature Request: JSON Configuration File

[testng-dev] Feature Request: JSON Configuration File

Sakamoto Kazuma
Would it be possible to read in a .json file for the test configurations instead of an .xml file? I am thinking about trying to load and store test configuration values in a database of some sort, and jsonb looks like a really good option right now. If we could import .json files for configuration instead of .xmls, it would definitely save me from having to convert from a json object back into xml when writing the configuration files from the database.

HOWEVER, seeing as how jsonb is more concise than xml seems to be, I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else is interested in having .json configuration files as an option. I'm surprised that I haven't found anyone that's done it already. The applications for this could be endless with integrations directly into databases, sql or no-sql, machine-learning driven test automation, data analysis/science, etc.

OR I could be completely wrong and no one wants json configuration files except me. If that's the case, just let me know. :D

Re: [testng-dev] Feature Request: JSON Configuration File

Cédric Beust ♔-2

Hi Sakamoto,

Well, you can already use YAML (testng.yaml), which is very close to JSON. I don’t think a lot of people use that feature though (besides myself).

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Sakamoto Kazuma <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[testng-dev] Re: Feature Request: JSON Configuration File

Julien Herr
If you want, you can write your own parser easily: just implements http://testng.org/javadocs/org/testng/xml/ISuiteParser.html and register it in the service loader like https://github.com/cbeust/testng/blob/master/src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org.testng.xml.ISuiteParser

Then, feel free to share it as a 3rd party testng extension :)