suite-test-classes concept

Moran Or Avigdor

This might be a simple question to answer, but I couldn't find the
answer in the documentation, which states the following: "A test is
represented by <test> and can contain one or more TestNG classes."

This puzzles me, since a test is usually though of as a single unit,
and here the test:classes relationship is 1:1..*
So how would you go about and explain this conceptual model?

BTW, is there a Conceptual design model diagram, or any diagram that
can ease the understanding of the components interactions, hierarchy,
dependency etc.

Thanks in advance,
Moran.

Re: suite-test-classes concept

Cédric Beust ♔
Hi Moran,

TheTestNG terminology is very simple:  a suite contains tests, which contain classes, which contain methods.

In that sense, TestNG defines a "test" more precisely than it ha been before (go ask on the JUnit mailing-list if they think a Test Case is one or several methods, you'll have fun with the responses :-)).

You'll find this hierarchy in two different places in TestNG:
  • The configuration methods (@BeforeTest / @BeforeSuite / ...) which wrap their respective unit.

Hope this clears things up.

On 1/28/07, moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

This might be a simple question to answer, but I couldn't find the
answer in the documentation, which states the following: "A test is
represented by <test> and can contain one or more TestNG classes."

This puzzles me, since a test is usually though of as a single unit,
and here the test:classes relationship is 1:1..*
So how would you go about and explain this conceptual model?

BTW, is there a Conceptual design model diagram, or any diagram that
can ease the understanding of the components interactions, hierarchy,
dependency etc.

Thanks in advance,
Moran.

Re: suite-test-classes concept

Moran Or Avigdor

The relationship of test:methods (the JUnit approach) isn't appealing
either.
So by TestNG a test is a "set of" classes where each is combined from
one or more methods.

When I try to model TestNG, the terminology (of "test") always frowns
the group when presented.
So I was thinking that there might be more to it.

Thank you
---
Moran
www.gigaspaces.com