spring support

Hani Suleiman

Can I get a show of hands from those using the spring support?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone is using the 1.4 Spring support.
Given that it requires that you have the source code, I feel that
it's not very useful at all, and that we should drop it, given that a
jar of it won't actually work.

Finally, I've updated it to use Spring 2.0.2, so give that a whirl!

Re: spring support

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 1/12/07, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I get a show of hands from those using the spring support?
>
> Also, I'd like to know if anyone is using the 1.4 Spring support.
> Given that it requires that you have the source code, I feel that
> it's not very useful at all, and that we should drop it, given that a
> jar of it won't actually work.

I think we can remove it but create some online doc how to get it working.

> Finally, I've updated it to use Spring 2.0.2, so give that a whirl!

Re: spring support

Justin Lee-2

Re: spring support

Justin Lee-2

Re: spring support

Hani Suleiman

That's how Spring works in general though, surely that's not a tng
specific issue?

Re: spring support

Justin Lee-2

Not entirely, no.  But, for example, wicket use @SpringBean to
declaratively mark which field are to be injected into a component.
I've never had much luck with the autowire feature in the testng-spring
modules so have had to resort to using the protected field route.

Hani Suleiman wrote:

> That's how Spring works in general though, surely that's not a tng
> specific issue?
>
> On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Justin Lee wrote:
>
> Personally, I use it but I had to copy it over to a project so I could
> tweak it.  I don't really like how it works at all.  I'd much
> rather use
> annotations to denote which resources to inject and then inject by
> field
> type rather than look for protected fields whose name matches a spring
> bean.  Much less black magic that way.  The current set up is not the
> most intuitive.

> --
> Justin Lee
> http://www.antwerkz.com
> AIM : evan chooly
> Skype : evanchooly

- --
Justin Lee
http://www.antwerkz.com
AIM : evan chooly
Skype : evanchooly

Re: spring support

Hani Suleiman

Hm, can you show me an example that doesn't work in tng-spring, that
works with junit-spring?

On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Justin Lee wrote:

> Not entirely, no.  But, for example, wicket use @SpringBean to
> declaratively mark which field are to be injected into a component.
> I've never had much luck with the autowire feature in the testng-
> spring
> modules so have had to resort to using the protected field route.
>
> Hani Suleiman wrote:
>> That's how Spring works in general though, surely that's not a tng
>> specific issue?
>>
>> On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Justin Lee wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I use it but I had to copy it over to a project so I
>> could
>> tweak it.  I don't really like how it works at all.  I'd much
>> rather use
>> annotations to denote which resources to inject and then inject by
>> field
>> type rather than look for protected fields whose name matches a
>> spring
>> bean.  Much less black magic that way.  The current set up is not the
>> most intuitive.

>> --
>> Justin Lee
>> http://www.antwerkz.com
>> AIM : evan chooly
>> Skype : evanchooly
>>>

> - --
> Justin Lee
> http://www.antwerkz.com
> AIM : evan chooly
> Skype : evanchooly

Re: spring support

Justin Lee-2

I can't.  I don't actually use junit anymore much less junit-spring.
I'll try to play with our tests today and see if I can't build an example.

Hani Suleiman wrote:

> Hm, can you show me an example that doesn't work in tng-spring, that
> works with junit-spring?
>
> On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Justin Lee wrote:
>
> Not entirely, no.  But, for example, wicket use @SpringBean to
> declaratively mark which field are to be injected into a component.
> I've never had much luck with the autowire feature in the testng-
> spring
> modules so have had to resort to using the protected field route.

> --
> Justin Lee
> http://www.antwerkz.com
> AIM : evan chooly
> Skype : evanchooly

- --
Justin Lee
http://www.antwerkz.com
AIM : evan chooly
Skype : evanchooly

Re: spring support

Mark Derricutt
On 1/13/07, Justin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not entirely, no.  But, for example, wicket use @SpringBean to
declaratively mark which field are to be injected into a component.
I've never had much luck with the autowire feature in the testng-spring
modules so have had to resort to using the protected field route.

I believe Wicket's reasoning for this is that with serialized objects you don't want to keep direct references to spring objects as they'll be dragged into the serialization, so what @SpringBean does is inject a small serializable safe proxy before the actual injected object.  (from memory - I could be 100% wrong).

It's also used as components in Wicket arn't created BY spring, so need to be manually injected somehow.

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

http://www.talios.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios

Re: spring support

Justin Lee-2