re-running testng-failed.xml

mikkin
Hi,

We run our testNg test in parallel (parallel="classes") at suite
level. If and when we do get errors, we re-run the testng-failed.xml
that gets generated and on re-running I see the following warning:

[Parser] [WARN] Unknown value of attribute 'parallel' for test 'All
Tests(failed)':'classes'
This is how the suite and test tag look in my testng-failed.xml file:

<suite thread-count="30" skipfailedinvocationCounts="false"
verbose="1" name="Failed suite [multiThreadedTests]" junit="false"
parallel="classes" annotations="JDK" data-provider-thread-count="10">
  <test name="All Tests(failed)" junit="false" parallel="classes"
annotations="JDK">
And this is how my main testng.xml file looks like (only suite and
test tag part):

<suite name="multiThreadedTests" parallel="classes" thread-count="30">
        <test name="All Tests" verbose="2" annotations="JDK">

I see this warning message only when we run from command line, not
from eclipse. Any idea on what I could be doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Mikkin

Re: re-running testng-failed.xml

mikkin
Ah - was using testNg-5.10... Thanks

On Mar 4, 9:33 am, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are probably using an old version of testng.jar from the command line,
> can you double check?
>
> --
> Cedric
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM, mikkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > We run our testNg test in parallel (parallel="classes") at suite
> > level. If and when we do get errors, we re-run the testng-failed.xml
> > that gets generated and on re-running I see the following warning:
>
> > [Parser] [WARN] Unknown value of attribute 'parallel' for test 'All
> > Tests(failed)':'classes'
>
> > ________________________________________________________________________________________
> > This is how the suite and test tag look in my testng-failed.xml file:
>
> > <suite thread-count="30" skipfailedinvocationCounts="false"
> > verbose="1" name="Failed suite [multiThreadedTests]" junit="false"
> > parallel="classes" annotations="JDK" data-provider-thread-count="10">
> >  <test name="All Tests(failed)" junit="false" parallel="classes"
> > annotations="JDK">
>
> > ____________________________________________________________________________________________
> > And this is how my main testng.xml file looks like (only suite and
> > test tag part):
>
> > <suite name="multiThreadedTests" parallel="classes" thread-count="30">
> >        <test name="All Tests" verbose="2" annotations="JDK">
>
> > ___________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> > I see this warning message only when we run from command line, not
> > from eclipse. Any idea on what I could be doing incorrectly?
>
> > Thanks
> > Mikkin

> ***Cédric
> *

Re: re-running testng-failed.xml

Pranky
Hi Mikkin,

Can you provide me code to re-run testng-failed.xml please.

i am not getting how it should be done..

Thanks.

On Friday, March 5, 2010 12:49:09 AM UTC+5:30, mikkin wrote:
Ah - was using testNg-5.10... Thanks

On Mar 4, 9:33 am, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are probably using an old version of testng.jar from the command line,
> can you double check?
>
> --
> Cedric
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM, mikkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > We run our testNg test in parallel (parallel="classes") at suite
> > level. If and when we do get errors, we re-run the testng-failed.xml
> > that gets generated and on re-running I see the following warning:
>
> > [Parser] [WARN] Unknown value of attribute 'parallel' for test 'All
> > Tests(failed)':'classes'
>
> > ________________________________________________________________________________________
> > This is how the suite and test tag look in my testng-failed.xml file:
>
> > <suite thread-count="30" skipfailedinvocationCounts="false"
> > verbose="1" name="Failed suite [multiThreadedTests]" junit="false"
> > parallel="classes" annotations="JDK" data-provider-thread-count="10">
> >  <test name="All Tests(failed)" junit="false" parallel="classes"
> > annotations="JDK">
>
> > ____________________________________________________________________________________________
> > And this is how my main testng.xml file looks like (only suite and
> > test tag part):
>
> > <suite name="multiThreadedTests" parallel="classes" thread-count="30">
> >        <test name="All Tests" verbose="2" annotations="JDK">
>
> > ___________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> > I see this warning message only when we run from command line, not
> > from eclipse. Any idea on what I could be doing incorrectly?
>
> > Thanks
> > Mikkin

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en.
>
> --
> ***Cédric
> *

Re: re-running testng-failed.xml

SeleniumQA
Hi Pranky,

Did you get a code for this, I am also having the similar sitautation. Please help if you have suggestion on this.

Thanks.

Re: re-running testng-failed.xml

Krishnan Mahadevan
There are multiple ways in which you can re-run failed tests.

1. Use a retry analyzer and implement the retry running of tests using this.
2. In CI systems such as Jenkins, you have the option of adding a post build step wherein you can write up a simple shell script which basically checks if there is a testng-failed.xml file available in the test output path and if it is available then kick off the build [ by running either the ant task or the maven task ] by providing the suite file to be executed as testng-failed.xml

Note:
Approach 2 is going to be messing up your test results (if you are dependent on the default reports that TestNG provides) because it would get overwritten. So you may have to put in additional checks in those areas as well.