excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

Arno Jost
I have a suite defined in a normal "testng.xml" including a TestClass "MyTestClass" with a group "myGroup" in the Class-level @Test-Annotation.

Adding
  <groups>
    <run>
      <exclude name="myGroup"/>
    </run>
   </groups>
to my testng.xml and running it in the command-line by tipping
  java org.testng.TestNG testng.xml
leads to the desired behaviour: nothing is tested because all the methods in "MyTestClass" belongs to the excluded group "myGroup"

Running the "MyTestClass" in the comman line by tipping:
  java org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups myGroup com.example.MyTestClass
leads also to the same, expected behaviour.

Running the "testng.xml" suite (without the group-block above) in the comman line by tipping:
  java org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups myGroup testng.xml
doesn't lead to the expected behaviour: all the methods are executed as if no exlcudegroups was specified!

According to the online documentation:
"...The command line flags that specify what tests should be run will be ignored if you also specify a testng.xml file, with the exception of -includedgroups and -excludedgroups, which will override all the group inclusions/exclusions found in testng.xml"

Any idea why the combination "excludegroups" + "testng.xml" doesn't work called in the command line?

Thx & greets,
Arno

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Arno,

I ran a quick test and it seems to work for me:

Normal run (notice that "a" is run):

$ testng src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
[TestNG] Running:
  /Users/cedric/java/testng/src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml

After class 1
PASSED: a
PASSED: test

Now excluding the group "a":

$ testng -excludegroups a src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
[TestNG] Running:
  /Users/cedric/java/testng/src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml

After class 1
PASSED: test

Can you double check what you're doing?

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cédric

I just did. Look at that (executed exactly in that order with nothing in between):

$ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.1.1/testng-6.1.1.jar:bin/ org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/tes/testng.xml
[TestNG] Running:
  /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml

TestSuite
Total tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Skips: 0

$ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.0.1/testng-6.0.1.jar:bin/ org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/test/testng.xml
[TestNG] Running:
  /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml

TestSuite
Total tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Skips: 0

It's workin with v6.0.1 but not with 6.1.1 !!!

greets,
Arno

Cedric Beust wrote

Odd... How about the beta at http://testng.org/beta ?

Cedric Beust wrote:

> Hi Arno,
>
> I ran a quick test and it seems to work for me:
>
> Normal run (notice that "a" is run):
>
> $ testng src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
> [TestNG] Running:
>   /Users/cedric/java/testng/src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
>
> After class 1
> *PASSED: a*
> PASSED: test
>

> Now excluding the group "a":
>
> $ testng -excludegroups a src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
> [TestNG] Running:
>   /Users/cedric/java/testng/src/test/resources/testng-single.yaml
>
> After class 1
> PASSED: test
>

> Can you double check what you're doing?
>
> Thanks.

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have a suite defined in a normal "testng.xml" including a TestClass
>> "MyTestClass" with a group "myGroup" in the Class-level @Test-Annotation.
>>
>> Adding
>>  <groups>
>>    <run>
>>      <exclude name="myGroup"/>
>>    </run>
>>   </groups>
>> to my testng.xml and running it in the command-line by tipping
>>  java org.testng.TestNG testng.xml
>> leads to the desired behaviour: nothing is tested because all the methods
>> in
>> "MyTestClass" belongs to the excluded group "myGroup"
>>
>> Running the "MyTestClass" in the comman line by tipping:
>>  java org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups myGroup com.example.MyTestClass
>> leads also to the same, expected behaviour.
>>
>> Running the "testng.xml" suite (without the group-block above) in the
>> comman
>> line by tipping:
>>  java org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups myGroup testng.xml
>> doesn't lead to the expected behaviour: all the methods are executed as
>> if
>> no exlcudegroups was specified!
>>
>> According to the online documentation:
>> "...The command line flags that specify what tests should be run will be
>> ignored if you also specify a testng.xml file, with the exception of
>> -includedgroups and -excludedgroups, which will override all the group
>> inclusions/exclusions found in testng.xml"
>>
>> Any idea why the combination "excludegroups" + "testng.xml" doesn't work
>> called in the command line?
>>
>> Thx & greets,
>> Arno

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

Arno Jost
$ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.2.1beta/testng-6.2.1beta.jar:bin/ org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/test/testng.xml
[TestNG] Running:
  /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml

TestSuite
Total tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Skips: 0

It works again with v6.2.1beta.
So the problem is "only" (?) in 6.1.1
Is there a stable version 6.2.x that we can use (i feel uncomfortable about using a beta version in our company)?

Greets,
Arno

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Arno,

FYI, the beta passes 100% of the tests, is this good enough for you or do you really need a release version?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.2.1beta/testng-6.2.1beta.jar:bin/
org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/test/testng.xml
[TestNG] Running:
 /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml

TestSuite
Total tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Skips: 0

It works again with v6.2.1beta.
So the problem is "only" (?) in 6.1.1
Is there a stable version 6.2.x that we can use (i feel uncomfortable about
using a beta version in our company)?

Greets,
Arno

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

martino turturiello
Hi Cedric,

well if is working well... maybe you can release the new version  to maven too!

Thanks a lot for your effort ;-)

Martino

2011/9/8 Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]>
[...]

I have to take a version from maven (company policy...).

So i'll go along with Martino's question.

Greets,
Arno

martino-7 wrote

2011/9/8 Cédric Beust ♔ <cedric@beust.com>

> Hi Arno,
>
> FYI, the beta passes 100% of the tests, is this good enough for you or do
> you really need a release version?

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Jostar <arno.jost@hispeed.ch> wrote:
>

>> $ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.2.1beta/testng-6.2.1beta.jar:bin/
>> org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/test/testng.xml
>> [TestNG] Running:
>>  /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml

>> TestSuite
>> Total tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
>>

>> It works again with v6.2.1beta.
>> So the problem is "only" (?) in 6.1.1
>> Is there a stable version 6.2.x that we can use (i feel uncomfortable
>> about
>> using a beta version in our company)?
>>
>> Greets,
>> Arno
>>

>> --
>>

>  --

Chi non ha apprezzato il suo maestro né la sua lezione, un giorno sarà forse
colto, ma non sarà mai saggio.

Numero telefonico 09711835500
Skype: turturiellomartino

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Jostar,

I just pushed 6.2.1, it should appear in Maven Central within the hour.

martino-7 wrote:

> Hi Cedric,
>
> well if is working well... maybe you can release the new version  to maven
> too!
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort ;-)
>

> Martino
>
> 2011/9/8 Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Arno,
>>
>> FYI, the beta passes 100% of the tests, is this good enough for you or do
>> you really need a release version?
>>
>> --
>> Cédric
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> $ java -cp ../lib/testng-6.2.1beta/testng-6.2.1beta.jar:bin/
>>> org.testng.TestNG -excludegroups a src/test/testng.xml
>>> [TestNG] Running:
>>>  /usr/users/arno/local_home/workspace/playground/src/test/testng.xml
>>>

>>> ===============================================
>>> TestSuite
>>> Total tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
>>> ===============================================
>>>

>>> It works again with v6.2.1beta.
>>> So the problem is "only" (?) in 6.1.1
>>> Is there a stable version 6.2.x that we can use (i feel uncomfortable
>>> about
>>> using a beta version in our company)?
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Arno
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>>  --

> Chi non ha apprezzato il suo maestro né la sua lezione, un giorno sarà
> forse
> colto, ma non sarà mai saggio.
>

> Numero telefonico 09711835500
> Skype: turturiellomartino

Re: excludegroups not working when calling a suite in the command line

martino turturiello
Great!

Thanks