description field in <parameter>

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

description field in <parameter>

ignace.saenen@gmail.com


Hi everyone,

I skimmed through the docs of testNG again, but could not find a
propper way to enable/disable tests, so I have the following 2
requests for enhancement:

When using lots of arguments and parameters from a testNG file, and
for the sake of documentation, it could be interesting to have a field
that describes what the parameter actually does. The alternative (use
a html commentstyle desription) is not very interesting because you it
makes it cumbersome to easily enable/disable tests, since html
comments do not nest.

The other request is that a test structure also has field liek e.g.
"enabled" which you can set to true or false, so that you don't need
to go through the XML to find the end of a test method to put html
comment tags, you can simply switch it on or off.

What do you think?


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: description field in <parameter>

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I skimmed through the docs of testNG again, but could not find a
> propper way to enable/disable tests, so I have the following 2
> requests for enhancement:
>
> When using lots of arguments and parameters from a testNG file, and
> for the sake of documentation, it could be interesting to have a field
> that describes what the parameter actually does. The alternative (use
> a html commentstyle desription) is not very interesting because you it
> makes it cumbersome to easily enable/disable tests, since html
> comments do not nest.
>

When you say field, do you mean an attribute?

> The other request is that a test structure also has field liek e.g.
> "enabled" which you can set to true or false, so that you don't need
> to go through the XML to find the end of a test method to put html
> comment tags, you can simply switch it on or off.
>
> What do you think?
>

This is quite useful, so I'll go adding support for it.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
  TestNG co-founder
EclipseTestNG Creator

>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: description field in <parameter>

ignace.saenen@gmail.com


Yep,

that's exactly what I meant!

Glad I could contribute something for a change :)

Cheers!



On Feb 26, 5:06 pm, "Alexandru Popescu"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I skimmed through the docs of testNG again, but could not find a
> > propper way to enable/disable tests, so I have the following 2
> > requests for enhancement:
>
> > When using lots of arguments and parameters from a testNG file, and
> > for the sake of documentation, it could be interesting to have a field
> > that describes what the parameter actually does. The alternative (use
> > a html commentstyle desription) is not very interesting because you it
> > makes it cumbersome to easily enable/disable tests, since html
> > comments do not nest.
>
> When you say field, do you mean an attribute?
>
> > The other request is that a test structure also has field liek e.g.
> > "enabled" which you can set to true or false, so that you don't need
> > to go through the XML to find the end of a test method to put html
> > comment tags, you can simply switch it on or off.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> This is quite useful, so I'll go adding support for it.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator
>
>


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: description field in <parameter>

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Ignace I have tried running the following suite without any changes to the code:

<!DOCTYPE suite SYSTEM "http://testng.org/testng-1.0.dtd" >

<suite name="Single" verbose="3" parallel="false"  >
  <test name="Something">
     <parameter name="titi" value="35" description="ceva description" />
    <classes>
      <class name="org.testng.ReporterTest" />
    </classes>
  </test>
</suite>

and the parameter description attribute is accepted without any
problems. Probably the only missing bit from this is that when
generating the testng-failed.xml suite -- in case of failures -- the
parameter descriptions will not be copied.

toodle-oo,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
  TestNG co-founder
EclipseTestNG Creator


On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Yep,
>
> that's exactly what I meant!
>
> Glad I could contribute something for a change :)
>
> Cheers!
>
>
>
> On Feb 26, 5:06 pm, "Alexandru Popescu"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> >
> > > I skimmed through the docs of testNG again, but could not find a
> > > propper way to enable/disable tests, so I have the following 2
> > > requests for enhancement:
> >
> > > When using lots of arguments and parameters from a testNG file, and
> > > for the sake of documentation, it could be interesting to have a field
> > > that describes what the parameter actually does. The alternative (use
> > > a html commentstyle desription) is not very interesting because you it
> > > makes it cumbersome to easily enable/disable tests, since html
> > > comments do not nest.
> >
> > When you say field, do you mean an attribute?
> >
> > > The other request is that a test structure also has field liek e.g.
> > > "enabled" which you can set to true or false, so that you don't need
> > > to go through the XML to find the end of a test method to put html
> > > comment tags, you can simply switch it on or off.
> >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > This is quite useful, so I'll go adding support for it.
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >
> >
>
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: description field in <parameter>

ignace.saenen@gmail.com

Hmm, you're correct. I must have had another typo somewhere when I
tested it.

Other question.  There is an invocationcount property that you can set
on a @Test method or class, but what would be the best way - given
that I already use factories to assemble a test from various data-
directories that are parsed - to repeat a test?  Would it be
interesting to have a count attribute field for this in the <test>
section?

On 1 mrt, 02:30, "Alexandru Popescu"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ignace I have tried running the following suite without any changes to the code:
>
> <!DOCTYPE suite SYSTEM "http://testng.org/testng-1.0.dtd" >
>
> <suite name="Single" verbose="3" parallel="false"  >
>   <test name="Something">
>      <parameter name="titi" value="35" description="ceva description" />
>     <classes>
>       <class name="org.testng.ReporterTest" />
>     </classes>
>   </test>
> </suite>
>
> and the parameter description attribute is accepted without any
> problems. Probably the only missing bit from this is that when
> generating the testng-failed.xml suite -- in case of failures -- the
> parameter descriptions will not be copied.
>
> toodle-oo,
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator
>
> On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Yep,
>
> > that's exactly what I meant!
>
> > Glad I could contribute something for a change :)
>
> > Cheers!
>
> > On Feb 26, 5:06 pm, "Alexandru Popescu"
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > On 2/26/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > > Hi everyone,
>
> > > > I skimmed through the docs of testNG again, but could not find a
> > > > propper way to enable/disable tests, so I have the following 2
> > > > requests for enhancement:
>
> > > > When using lots of arguments and parameters from a testNG file, and
> > > > for the sake of documentation, it could be interesting to have a field
> > > > that describes what the parameter actually does. The alternative (use
> > > > a html commentstyle desription) is not very interesting because you it
> > > > makes it cumbersome to easily enable/disable tests, since html
> > > > comments do not nest.
>
> > > When you say field, do you mean an attribute?
>
> > > > The other request is that a test structure also has field liek e.g.
> > > > "enabled" which you can set to true or false, so that you don't need
> > > > to go through the XML to find the end of a test method to put html
> > > > comment tags, you can simply switch it on or off.
>
> > > > What do you think?
>
> > > This is quite useful, so I'll go adding support for it.
>
> > > ./alex
> > > --
> > > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > >   TestNG co-founder
> > > EclipseTestNG Creator


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "testng-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---