Using the Reporter or - Link test report to test javadoc

Using the Reporter or - Link test report to test javadoc

Erez Nahir

Hi,

We have a requirement to provide short description for each test case
- what it does, positive/negative etc.

We use maven surefire to run testng in a multi project maven based
build and at the end of the build we use ant's junitreport task to
aggregate all xml files into a single xml/html presentation.

We also generate javadocs for out unit test code.
What I'm looking for is a way to link the test results to the javadoc
of each test or to any other HTML presentation.

I was wondering if using Reporter API will help? and if it does, is
there additional info other then the single line in the documentation
page.

If not, is anyone else has another idea? Maybe a new annotation?

Thanks,
Erez.

Re: Using the Reporter or - Link test report to test javadoc

Steve Loughran-7

On 15/02/07, Erez Nahir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a requirement to provide short description for each test case
> - what it does, positive/negative etc.
>
> We use maven surefire to run testng in a multi project maven based
> build and at the end of the build we use ant's junitreport task to
> aggregate all xml files into a single xml/html presentation.
>
> We also generate javadocs for out unit test code.
> What I'm looking for is a way to link the test results to the javadoc
> of each test or to any other HTML presentation.

there's no support for that (currently) in the xml that junitreport
supports, though you could take the XSL and enhance it.

On my enhancement todo list for the junit report layout, I'd like to
see every test being able to contain:
 -description text
 -a list of links (href/text)
 -a list of tags.
The latter is not because I want a fancy web2.0-y style tag display,
though tagged atom output is always a possibility. Its because I want
to categorise tests in more ways than just the package tree. Like
"steve" tests that are my problem, or "informative", meaning its
interesting but not critical if the tests fail.

Would that be enough?

-steve

Re: Using the Reporter or - Link test report to test javadoc

Hi Erez,

Did you try @Test(description = "...") ?

I'm not sure this will appear in JUnitReports, though, but these descriptions are included in the TestNG reports.