TestNG release policy

pmendelson2

Since TestNG is an open source project releases go when functionality
is ready instead of on an arbitrary schedule.  Nonetheless, I think it
can be disconcerting to the user community to see too many release
announcements in too short a period of time.

In my opinion, release 5.4 came out very quickly after release 5.3.

I think we have a release within 2 months of another release we should
use 3 decimal points, such 5.3.1.  Is that viable or desirable within
the current TestNG charter.

Re: TestNG release policy

Cédric Beust ♔
Hi Paul,

I haven't seen any evidence that users are disconcerted by our release schedule, and in general, main releases seem to be about two months apart, which seems reasonable for an opensource project.

The numbering is based on a simple rule of thumb (if it adds a feature, 5.3 -> 5.4, if it only fixes bugs, 5.3 -> 5.3.1) and the decision when to release is based on the size of the change log (I don't want to let it grow too much) or when the new version contains a feature that has been heavily requested.

I'll be happy to space out the releases more, but not before I start hearing some real complaints on the users mailing-list...

On 12/15/06, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Since TestNG is an open source project releases go when functionality
is ready instead of on an arbitrary schedule.  Nonetheless, I think it
can be disconcerting to the user community to see too many release
announcements in too short a period of time.

In my opinion, release 5.4 came out very quickly after release 5.3.

I think we have a release within 2 months of another release we should
use 3 decimal points, such 5.3.1.  Is that viable or desirable within
the current TestNG charter.

Re: TestNG release policy

Alexandru Popescu ☀
This would be in fact the first time I would hear that an OSS project
is releasing too often. Considering our backward compatibility policy
I really don't see any good reasons for not doing it this way. Also,
what would be the benefit to have all those features/bug fixes just
for us developers? So, for the moment I wouldn't change a thing
related to release schedules.

On 12/15/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I haven't seen any evidence that users are disconcerted by our release
> schedule, and in general, main releases seem to be about two months apart,
> which seems reasonable for an opensource project.
>
>  The numbering is based on a simple rule of thumb (if it adds a feature, 5.3
> -> 5.4, if it only fixes bugs, 5.3 -> 5.3.1) and the decision when to
> release is based on the size of the change log (I don't want to let it grow
> too much) or when the new version contains a feature that has been heavily
> requested.
>
> I'll be happy to space out the releases more, but not before I start hearing
> some real complaints on the users mailing-list...
>
> --
> Cedric
>

> On 12/15/06, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Since TestNG is an open source project releases go when functionality
> > is ready instead of on an arbitrary schedule.  Nonetheless, I think it
> > can be disconcerting to the user community to see too many release
> > announcements in too short a period of time.
> >
> > In my opinion, release 5.4 came out very quickly after release 5.3.
> >
> > I think we have a release within 2 months of another release we should
> > use 3 decimal points, such 5.3.1.  Is that viable or desirable within
> > the current TestNG charter.

>  >

Re: TestNG release policy

Phillip Ross-2

Yes. If anything I'd like to see "more" releases.

I can understand the potential scenario where people could imagine all the releases are the result of correcting mistakes and such, but I doubt many get that impression with TestNG specifically considering who is driving development and the overall quality of the library.

Of course, I don't think I've ever had a negative impression of releases from any library. I may have noticed a quick release follow up from some other libraries in the past, but even then I thought "Oh they found an issue and fixed / released it quickly, good " .

Re: TestNG release policy

Hani Suleiman

I'm confused, what would this achieve?

On Dec 15, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Paul wrote:

> Since TestNG is an open source project releases go when functionality
> is ready instead of on an arbitrary schedule.  Nonetheless, I think it
> can be disconcerting to the user community to see too many release
> announcements in too short a period of time.
>
> In my opinion, release 5.4 came out very quickly after release 5.3.
>
> I think we have a release within 2 months of another release we should
> use 3 decimal points, such 5.3.1.  Is that viable or desirable within
> the current TestNG charter.

Re: TestNG release policy

pmendelson2

I agree with the general theme of the responses:

1.  How can timely innovation be a bad thing?
2.  Since TestNG is so well tested (because it makes extensive use of
TestNG among other reasons) installing frequent updates is of little
risk to the user.

As I think more about my own question my real concerns for the user
community are:

1.  Is there a simple rule of thumb that users who don't update very
frequently should follow.  For example stay in the 5.x family.

2.  Is there a cross reference between testng version and versions of
related tools.  For example:

Maven 1:  TestNG 4.7+
Maven 2:  TestNG 5.2+
Ant 1.7:   TestNG 5.4+
Eclipse 3.2: ...
Eclipse 3.1: ...

Hani Suleiman wrote:

> I'm confused, what would this achieve?
>
> On Dec 15, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Paul wrote:
>

> > Since TestNG is an open source project releases go when functionality
> > is ready instead of on an arbitrary schedule.  Nonetheless, I think it
> > can be disconcerting to the user community to see too many release
> > announcements in too short a period of time.
> >
> > In my opinion, release 5.4 came out very quickly after release 5.3.
> >
> > I think we have a release within 2 months of another release we should
> > use 3 decimal points, such 5.3.1.  Is that viable or desirable within
> > the current TestNG charter.

Re: TestNG release policy

Cédric Beust ♔

On 12/16/06, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

2.  Is there a cross reference between testng version and versions of
related tools.  For example:

Maven 1:  TestNG 4.7+
Maven 2:  TestNG 5.2+
Ant 1.7:   TestNG 5.4+
Eclipse 3.2: ...
Eclipse 3.1: ...

The only guarantee I can make (because I'm the one enforcing it) is that the version numbers between TestNG and the TestNG Eclipse plug-ins are synchronized.

The first three digits of the Eclipse plug-in correspond to the version of the embedded TestNG jar file, and the last one is the iteration of the plug-in itself ( e.g. 5.4.0.13).

Re: TestNG release policy

Alexandru Popescu ☀
On 12/16/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 2.  Is there a cross reference between testng version and versions of
> > related tools.  For example:
> >
> > Maven 1:  TestNG 4.7+
> > Maven 2:  TestNG 5.2+
> > Ant 1.7:   TestNG 5.4+
> > Eclipse 3.2: ...
> > Eclipse 3.1: ...
>
> The only guarantee I can make (because I'm the one enforcing it) is that the
> version numbers between TestNG and the TestNG Eclipse plug-ins are
> synchronized.

In fact it is a "we" in the above paragraph, considering that I am the
only one working on the Eclipse plugin.