TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

12

TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

jimisola

Hi,

The latest version of TestNG is not available in the central  Maven
repo (repo1.maven.org).
I would have expected that since there is a TestNG plugin for Maven as
well.

It would be of great help if someone in the TestNG team could deploy
the 5.3 release.

Regards,
Jimisola

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/3/06, jimisola <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The latest version of TestNG is not available in the central  Maven
> repo (repo1.maven.org).
> I would have expected that since there is a TestNG plugin for Maven as
> well.
>
> It would be of great help if someone in the TestNG team could deploy
> the 5.3 release.

Afaik the 5.3 doesn't play well with maven2 yet. I am sure Jesse (our
maven guy) will push a new version as soon as he has something
working.

> Regards,
> Jimisola

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

jimisola

Ok. I did not know that. TestNG 5.3 was a request from one of my
co-workers. I understood it as if 5.3 has some advantages over 5.1.

(Jesse, if you read this I'd appreciate if you could say when you think
you'll have a new version out that works with Maven.)

Regards,
Jimisola

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Steve Loughran-7

On 03/12/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/3/06, jimisola <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The latest version of TestNG is not available in the central  Maven
> > repo (repo1.maven.org).
> > I would have expected that since there is a TestNG plugin for Maven as
> > well.
> >
> > It would be of great help if someone in the TestNG team could deploy
> > the 5.3 release.
> >

> Afaik the 5.3 doesn't play well with maven2 yet. I am sure Jesse (our
> maven guy) will push a new version as soon as he has something
> working.

Its still good for all OSS projects to push out their artifacts to the
ibiblio repo, even if M2 doesnt work with it. Both Ivy and SmartFrog
can pull artifacts down from the repo, and Ivy is now in incubation
under apache as the ant-centric way to get stuff from the same
repository, even (mostly) using the same metadata.

-steve

On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Afaik the 5.3 doesn't play well with maven2 yet. I am sure Jesse (our
maven guy) will push a new version as soon as he has something
working.

And by the way, I would love it if somebody accepted to co-own this with Jesse.  Maven support for TestNG has become very popular, and it worries me that only Jesse knows how to maintain the repository...

On 12/3/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Afaik the 5.3 doesn't play well with maven2 yet. I am sure Jesse (our
> > maven guy) will push a new version as soon as he has something
> > working.
>
> And by the way, I would love it if somebody accepted to co-own this with
> Jesse.  Maven support for TestNG has become very popular, and it worries me
> that only Jesse knows how to maintain the repository...

I was offering myself in a couple of times... with the only condition
to have some initial description of what has been done and where to
look for. I am still strong on this. The most complaints I have heard
about TestNG were about its maven support and I would definitely like
to make it as stable as the rest of it (no offense Jesse).

>  >

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

David Bernard-2

+1 to add TestNG 5.3 on ibiblio with or without maven support

Because maven users could integrate testng into an maven project :
* to allow create there own plugin
* to allow call to from antrun plugin

Both solution are not perfect but better than nothing. (no surefire
support or not able to access the repository with surefire-2.8-SNAPSHOT
behind the firewall (case of my previous customer))

FYI :

Recently, I need the the TestNG report into a maven build. Because  I
use TestNG to drive Fit test and the TestNG report to access the
resulting html of Fit.

To do it, I use the TestNG anttask from maven:
<plugin>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <phase>test</phase>
      <configuration>
        <tasks>
          <condition property="testng.haltOnFailure" else="false">
            <not>
              <equals arg1="${maven.test.failure.ignore}" arg2="true"
/>
            </not>
          </condition>
          <taskdef resource="testngtasks"
classpathref="maven.test.classpath" />
          <testng classpathref="maven.test.classpath"
              outputDir="${project.build.directory}/site/testng"
              sourcedir="${basedir}/src/test/java"
              haltOnfailure="${testng.haltOnFailure}">
            <jvmarg
value="-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl"
/>
            <xmlfileset dir="${basedir}/src/test/resources"
includes="testng.xml" />
          </testng>
        </tasks>
      </configuration>
      <goals>
        <goal>run</goal>
      </goals>
    </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
David,

I think everyone agrees that ibiblio should have all TestNG versions. There is no reason not to put TestNG on the ibiblio server.  This is independent from any Surefire issue.  My understanding is that it is more a deployment and access rights issue that keeps us from having the latest TestNG version on the server in a timely manner.

Andreas

On 12/4/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
> I think everyone agrees that ibiblio should have all TestNG versions. There
> is no reason not to put TestNG on the ibiblio server.  This is independent
> from any Surefire issue.  My understanding is that it is more a deployment
> and access rights issue that keeps us from having the latest TestNG version
> on the server in a timely manner.
>
> Andreas

Can this process be scripted (in Ant :-) )? If so just pass me the
details and I will make sure that we have the necessary targets to
trigger the publish process.

> On 12/4/06, David Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 to add TestNG 5.3 on ibiblio with or without maven support
> >
> > Because maven users could integrate testng into an maven project :
> > * to allow create there own plugin
> > * to allow call to from antrun plugin
> >
> > Both solution are not perfect but better than nothing. (no surefire
> > support or not able to access the repository with surefire-2.8-SNAPSHOT
> > behind the firewall (case of my previous customer))
> >
> > FYI :
> >
> > Recently, I need the the TestNG report into a maven build. Because  I
> > use TestNG to drive Fit test and the TestNG report to access the
> > resulting html of Fit.
> >
> > To do it, I use the TestNG anttask from maven:
> > <plugin>
> >   <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
> >   <executions>
> >     <execution>
> >       <phase>test</phase>
> >       <configuration>
> >         <tasks>
> >           <condition property="testng.haltOnFailure" else="false">
> >             <not>
> >               <equals arg1="${maven.test.failure.ignore}" arg2="true"
> > />
> >             </not>
> >           </condition>
> >           <taskdef resource="testngtasks"
> > classpathref="maven.test.classpath" />
> >           <testng classpathref=" maven.test.classpath"
> >               outputDir="${project.build.directory}/site/testng"
> >               sourcedir="${basedir}/src/test/java"
> >               haltOnfailure="${testng.haltOnFailure }">
> >             <jvmarg
> >
> value="-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl"
> > />
> >             <xmlfileset
> dir="${basedir}/src/test/resources"
> > includes="testng.xml" />
> >           </testng>
> >         </tasks>
> >       </configuration>
> >       <goals>
> >         <goal>run</goal>
> >       </goals>
> >     </execution>
> >   </executions>
> > </plugin>
> >

>  >

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Hani Suleiman

This certainly is trivial, uploading new releases to ibiblio is no
big deal at all, and we have infrastructure at opensymphony to do
this automatically I believe. I'll look into what's needed to have
this kick in for tng. From what I remember, all you need to do is
upload the jar to a directory at opensymphony's server and it'll
automatically be synced up to ibiblio within 4 hours.

On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:27 AM, David Bernard wrote:

> +1 to add TestNG 5.3 on ibiblio with or without maven support
>
> Because maven users could integrate testng into an maven project :
> * to allow create there own plugin
> * to allow call to from antrun plugin

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

David Bernard-2

May be help at  :
* http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html
* http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#repo-step-by-step

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/4/06, David Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> May be help at  :
> * http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html
> * http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#repo-step-by-step

All I can say: OMG! Maven is easy????

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

I was re-reading this thread a couple of times and I think I have
reached a conclusion that will make things extremely easy (as it is
supposed to be):

1/ we need to figure out a process - automatic - to push our releases
on maven repositories

2/ if we replace the maven-surefire stuff from out todo list and rely
on maven-ant then everything should become extremely simple: no
parallel patches, no additional code. I am not seeing any advantage in
having this additional work done on our side and also on our user side
(configure additional repositories, use snapshot plugins, etc.). David
Bernard has provided a good example of TestNG usage with the maven-ant
plugin, and this should become the supported direction.

Please let me know if you have other suggestions and ideas.

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
I guess since we do not own the Maven Surefire it makes sense to provide "our" thing based on Maven.  If the Surefire team is short on resources it might make sense to provide an alternative.

I think it still makes  sense to support the Maven Surefire team.  Surefire has currently two Test Providers, JUnit and TestNG.  Well, one could argue that the JUnit team does not seem to support the Maven Surefire project, but on the other hand JUnit is not so fast moving and to my understanding JUnit 4 support is not planed for Surefire yet.  And I think this is the difference.  I think supporting Maven is worth wile the effort.

It might be easy for us to provide the ant solution, but it becomes not easier for the Maven user.  If I have to configure Ant usage of if I have to work on my settings is not a big difference.  But I would prefer the Maven pure solution over the Ant integration one.

Of course since I am a big Maven fan and user, I am a bit biased and selfish.  I simply think that the TestNG team has the best knowledge about the changes within TestNG and the differences that have to be managed in the Surefire components.  I am more than happy to join Jesse and help him in his work on the patches and tests for Surefire.

If we continue this path, we should make sure that all that is needed to support Jesse is part of the TestNG SVN.

Andreas

On 12/4/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

using ant run isn't perfect compared to surefire:
* more xml code to write
* less integration:
   * if the developer call the goal 'site', it must use the
-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true to avoid the end of the process if
some test failed
   * look and field of the report, but access to the output of report,
organization by group

Surefire integration is good, but surefire doesn't release as often as
TestNG.
May be create a (minimal) testng-maven-plugin could be a better
solution for future.

For information publishing (jar,...) on ibiblio is a facility for user,
but you could publish the jar and pom.xml on any public http server
that follow the maven2 repository layout (eg:
testng.org/maven2-repo/org/testng/testng/5.3/...). In this case
publishing is easy. (I'll publish testng 5.3 on my own public
repository)

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
I think if we share the burden of supporting and patching Surefire and if we organize that as a project either under TestNG or aside, we should be able to provide timely patches at least on the howardlewisship server.  It is a bit unfortunately that we use this high SNAPSHOT version. We should have used the same as the current Maven Surefire plug-in is using.

We should also be able to provide tests that verify if a specific path is applied to Surefire or not.

On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Andreas Guther wrote:

> I think if we share the burden of supporting and patching Surefire
> and if we organize that as a project either under TestNG or aside,
> we should be able to provide timely patches at least on the
> howardlewisship server.

I don't think this is a good solution. We should everything we can to
avoid this.

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
Of course, we should do that.  I have enough on my plate already and I am not looking for adding more than absolutely necessary.  But as a Maven user I think I could give something back to the project that way.

Andreas

On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Andreas Guther wrote:

> I think if we share the burden of supporting and patching Surefire
> and if we organize that as a project either under TestNG or aside,
> we should be able to provide timely patches at least on the
> howardlewisship server.

I don't think this is a good solution. We should everything we can to
avoid this.

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

On 12/4/06, David Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> using ant run isn't perfect compared to surefire:
> * more xml code to write

in a side by side comparison it is longer with 3-4 lines at most.

> * less integration:
>    * if the developer call the goal 'site', it must use the
> -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true to avoid the end of the process if
> some test failed

doesn't look so serious to me

>    * look and field of the report, but access to the output of report,
> organization by group

Not sure what you mean by the above. Can you please explain?

> Surefire integration is good, but surefire doesn't release as often as
> TestNG.
> May be create a (minimal) testng-maven-plugin could be a better
> solution for future.
>
> For information publishing (jar,...) on ibiblio is a facility for user,
> but you could publish the jar and pom.xml on any public http server
> that follow the maven2 repository layout (eg:
> testng.org/maven2-repo/org/testng/testng/5.3/...). In this case
> publishing is easy. (I'll publish testng 5.3 on my own public
> repository)

Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

On 12/4/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think if we share the burden of supporting and patching Surefire and if we
> organize that as a project either under TestNG or aside, we should be able
> to provide timely patches at least on the howardlewisship server.  It is a
> bit unfortunately that we use this high SNAPSHOT version. We should have
> used the same as the current Maven Surefire plug-in is using.
>
> We should also be able to provide tests that verify if a specific path is
> applied to Surefire or not.
>
> Andreas

I would probably agree with you but: we need to maintain a set of
patches for different plugin version and different testng versions. I
would say that this is a huge effort. While, through maven ant things
seem pretty easy and on our side there is nothing special we must do.

> On 12/4/06, David Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > using ant run isn't perfect compared to surefire:
> > * more xml code to write
> > * less integration:
> >    * if the developer call the goal 'site', it must use the
> > -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true to avoid the end of the process if
> > some test failed
> >    * look and field of the report, but access to the output of report,
> > organization by group
> >
> > Surefire integration is good, but surefire doesn't release as often as
> > TestNG.
> > May be create a (minimal) testng-maven-plugin could be a better
> > solution for future.
> >
> > For information publishing (jar,...) on ibiblio is a facility for user,
> > but you could publish the jar and pom.xml on any public http server
> > that follow the maven2 repository layout (eg:
> > testng.org/maven2-repo/org/testng/testng/5.3/... ). In
> this case
> > publishing is easy. (I'll publish testng 5.3 on my own public
> > repository)
> >

>  >

12