Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Arno Jost
Hi,

Running a suite, class or method in a command line allways leads to a test-summary at the end looking like the following:

Test Suite
Total tests run: N, Failures: x, Skips: y

When i run the same classes or methods via the eclipse plug-in i get a similar summary in the eclipse-console.
When i run the same suite in the plug-in, the test run ends with "RemoteTestNG finishing: x ms" and no summary is logged out. The correspoonding html-report however contains the table with the correst passed/failed/skipped numbers.

Is that the expected behaviour?

greets,
Arno

Re: Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Arno Jost
I just did, from 6.1.1 (2011-07-13) to 6.2.0 (2011-09-05).
I get the summary now when running the suite in the plug-in. Thx for that!

Strangely, i get 2 summary blocks now when i run a class or a method.
Looking like:

    Default test
    Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
Default suite
Total tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0

As there is allways one test for one suite when running directly a class or a method, the information seems very redundant to me. What do you think?

Greets,
Arno

Cedric Beust wrote

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Jostar <arno.jost@hispeed.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running a suite, class or method in a command line allways leads to a
> test-summary at the end looking like the following:

> Test Suite
> Total tests run: N, Failures: x, Skips: y
>
> When i run the same classes or methods via the eclipse plug-in i get a
> similar summary in the eclipse-console.
> When i run the same suite in the plug-in, the test run ends with
> "RemoteTestNG finishing: x ms" and no summary is logged out. The
> correspoonding html-report however contains the table with the correst
> passed/failed/skipped numbers.
>
> Is that the expected behaviour?
>
> greets,
> Arno
>
> btw

Re: Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Arno,

It's not two summaries, it's one summary for the <test> tag and one final one for the <suite> tag.

If you run a test with multiple <test> tags, it will make more sense.

Cedric Beust wrote:

> Can you update to the latest plug-in and try again?
>
> Thanks.

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Running a suite, class or method in a command line allways leads to a
>> test-summary at the end looking like the following:

>> Test Suite
>> Total tests run: N, Failures: x, Skips: y
>>
>> When i run the same classes or methods via the eclipse plug-in i get a
>> similar summary in the eclipse-console.
>> When i run the same suite in the plug-in, the test run ends with
>> "RemoteTestNG finishing: x ms" and no summary is logged out. The
>> correspoonding html-report however contains the table with the correst
>> passed/failed/skipped numbers.
>>
>> Is that the expected behaviour?
>>
>> greets,
>> Arno
>>
>> btw

Re: Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Arno Jost
Hi Cédric

This would make sense!
BUT:
I don't get the <test>-summary when running directly a suite (even if this suite do have more than one <test>)!
I do get the two summaries when running a class, which makes not to much sense because there is automatically only one <test> ("Default test") and one <suite> ("Default suite") that are run in background.

I hope you get my point.

Greets,
Arno

Cedric Beust wrote

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Jostar <arno.jost@hispeed.ch> wrote:

> I just did, from 6.1.1 (2011-07-13) to 6.2.0 (2011-09-05).
> I get the summary now when running the suite in the plug-in. Thx for that!
>
> Strangely, i get 2 summary blocks now when i run a class or a method.
> Looking like:

>    Default test
>    Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
> Default suite
> Total tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
>
> As there is allways one test for one suite when running directly a class or
> a method, the information seems very redundant to me. What do you think?
>
> Greets,
> Arno
>

> Cedric Beust wrote:
> >
> > Can you update to the latest plug-in and try again?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Cédric
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Jostar <arno.jost@hispeed.ch> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Running a suite, class or method in a command line allways leads to a
> >> test-summary at the end looking like the following:
> >>
> >> ===============================================
> >> Test Suite
> >> Total tests run: N, Failures: x, Skips: y
> >> ===============================================
> >>
> >> When i run the same classes or methods via the eclipse plug-in i get a
> >> similar summary in the eclipse-console.
> >> When i run the same suite in the plug-in, the test run ends with
> >> "RemoteTestNG finishing: x ms" and no summary is logged out. The
> >> correspoonding html-report however contains the table with the correst
> >> passed/failed/skipped numbers.
> >>
> >> Is that the expected behaviour?
> >>
> >> greets,
> >> Arno
> >>
> >> btw

Re: Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Jostar,

Sorry, I don't follow.

When you run a single class with the Eclipse plug-in, it creates a testng.xml that only contains that class, and obviously, that testng.xml has to contain a <suite> and a <test> tag. That's what you're seeing.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Cédric

This would make sense!
BUT:
I don't get the <test>-summary when running directly a suite (even if this
suite do have more than one <test>)!
I do get the two summaries when running a class, which makes not to much
sense because there is automatically only one <test> ("Default test") and
one <suite> ("Default suite") that are run in background.

I could understand, that you don't turn the feature of the <test>-summary
off when <test> and <suite> are built for a tested class or method. But at
least the feature should work where it really brings something...

I hope you get my point.

Greets,
Arno

Cedric Beust wrote:

> Hi Arno,
>
> It's not two summaries, it's one summary for the <test> tag and one final
> one for the <suite> tag.
>
> If you run a test with multiple <test> tags, it will make more sense.

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Jostar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I just did, from 6.1.1 (2011-07-13) to 6.2.0 (2011-09-05).
>> I get the summary now when running the suite in the plug-in. Thx for
>> that!
>>
>> Strangely, i get 2 summary blocks now when i run a class or a method.
>> Looking like:

>>    Default test
>>    Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
>> Default suite
>> Total tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Skips: 0
>>
>> As there is allways one test for one suite when running directly a class
>> or
>> a method, the information seems very redundant to me. What do you think?
>>
>> Greets,
>> Arno
>>

>> Cedric Beust wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you update to the latest plug-in and try again?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cédric

>> > --

Re: Running suite in Ecplise plug-in, no summary.

Arno Jost
Hi Cédric

But when i run an own testng.xml (manually created) in the Eclipse-Plugin, i don't get the <test>-summary. And that makes no sense at all to me!

Arno

<quote author="Cedric Beust">