Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
I am redirecting this to the dev group.

I am also volunteering in assisting Jesse.  I am maintaining our internal repository in the company I am working and I am there the Maven guy.  Let me know where I can help.

Andreas

On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/3/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email] > wrote:

> On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Afaik the 5.3 doesn't play well with maven2 yet. I am sure Jesse (our
> > maven guy) will push a new version as soon as he has something
> > working.
>
> And by the way, I would love it if somebody accepted to co-own this with
> Jesse.  Maven support for TestNG has become very popular, and it worries me
> that only Jesse knows how to maintain the repository...

I was offering myself in a couple of times... with the only condition
to have some initial description of what has been done and where to
look for. I am still strong on this. The most complaints I have heard
about TestNG were about its maven support and I would definitely like
to make it as stable as the rest of it (no offense Jesse).

>  >

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Jessek
Hmm. Getting an officially documented overview would probably be nice,
but I fail to see why this

http://testng.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven2/README.txt

and

http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122

aren't enough for anyone to get properly started. It's not exactly "my
code" so much as code that I've attempted to tweak/maintain as best I
can.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
Jesse,

How do you manage the differences between the 2.8 SNAPSHOT you maintain on howardlewisship.com and the official version on http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-surefire-plugin/?  Is your changes under version control?  And if so, is it open accessible?

Another question?  What do you think about providing the latest TestNG versions on the howardlewisship.com maven repository?  Since your SNAPSHOT is there, why not putting the  TestNG  versions there as well?

Andreas

On 12/4/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm. Getting an officially documented overview would probably be nice,
> but I fail to see why this
>
> http://testng.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven2/README.txt
>
> and
>
> http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122
>
> aren't enough for anyone to get properly started. It's not exactly "my
> code" so much as code that I've attempted to tweak/maintain as best I
> can.

I will read these and try to start working on it. Thanks.

> On 12/3/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am redirecting this to the dev group.
> >
> > I am also volunteering in assisting Jesse.  I am maintaining our internal
> > repository in the company I am working and I am there the Maven guy.  Let me
> > know where I can help.
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> > On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > me
> > > >

> > > I was offering myself in a couple of times... with the only condition
> > > to have some initial description of what has been done and where to
> > > look for. I am still strong on this. The most complaints I have heard
> > > about TestNG were about its maven support and I would definitely like
> > > to make it as stable as the rest of it (no offense Jesse).
> > >
> > > ./alex
> > > --
> > > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > >   TestNG co-founder
> > > EclipseTestNG Creator

> --
> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀
On 12/4/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hmm. Getting an officially documented overview would probably be nice,
> > but I fail to see why this
> >
> > http://testng.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven2/README.txt
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122
> >
> > aren't enough for anyone to get properly started. It's not exactly "my
> > code" so much as code that I've attempted to tweak/maintain as best I
> > can.
> >

> I will read these and try to start working on it. Thanks.

I have checked out the code for surefire:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/surefire/trunk/ and
maven-surefire-plugin:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-surefire-plugin.
I will download the patches linked from the above mentioned JIRA
issues and see if I can get my head around them :-).

> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator
>
> > On 12/3/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I am redirecting this to the dev group.
> > >
> > > I am also volunteering in assisting Jesse.  I am maintaining our internal
> > > repository in the company I am working and I am there the Maven guy.  Let me
> > > know where I can help.
> > >
> > > Andreas

> > > me

> > --
> > Jesse Kuhnert
> > Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer
> >
> > Open source based consulting work centered around
> > dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind. http://blog.opencomponentry.com

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Hani Suleiman

On Dec 4, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Andreas Guther wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> How do you manage the differences between the 2.8 SNAPSHOT you
> maintain on howardlewisship.com and the official version on http://
> svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-surefire-plugin/?
> Is your changes under version control?  And if so, is it open
> accessible?
>
> Another question?  What do you think about providing the latest
> TestNG versions on the howardlewisship.com maven repository?  Since
> your SNAPSHOT is there, why not putting the  TestNG  versions there
> as well?

I'm still perplexed by why we need to use howardlewishship.com, can
someone remind me of the issue, and what in theory we'd have to do to
avoid that?

On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Andreas Guther wrote:
>
> > Jesse,
> >
> > How do you manage the differences between the 2.8 SNAPSHOT you
> > maintain on howardlewisship.com and the official version on http://
> > svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-surefire-plugin/?
> > Is your changes under version control?  And if so, is it open
> > accessible?
> >
> > Another question?  What do you think about providing the latest
> > TestNG versions on the howardlewisship.com maven repository?  Since
> > your SNAPSHOT is there, why not putting the  TestNG  versions there
> > as well?
>
> I'm still perplexed by why we need to use howardlewishship.com, can
> someone remind me of the issue, and what in theory we'd have to do to
> avoid that?

I may be wrong but here is my understanding:

- there are a couple of fixes for maven stuff that do not exist yet in
their plugin(s)/etc distributions; due to this Jesse is keeping a
patched version of these on howardlewis.... server.

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Trying to "build" maven-surefire-plugin:

[alex@localhost maven-surefire-plugin]$ mvn install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.maven.plugins
ArtifactId: maven-plugins
Version: 4-SNAPSHOT

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:4-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.reactor.MavenExecutionException: Cannot find parent:
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins for project:
null:maven-surefire-plugin:maven-plugin:2.3-SNAPSHOT
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:365)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:278)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: Cannot
find parent: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins for project:
null:maven-surefire-plugin:maven-plugin:2.3-SNAPSHOT
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.assembleLineage(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:1161)
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:674)
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromSourceFileInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:416)
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:192)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProject(DefaultMaven.java:515)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.collectProjects(DefaultMaven.java:447)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:351)
        ... 11 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: POM
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins' not found in repository:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:4-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:513)
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.assembleLineage(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:1157)
        ... 17 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactNotFoundException:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:4-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:136)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:63)
        at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:467)
        ... 18 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.ResourceDoesNotExistException:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:260)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:124)
        ... 20 more
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Dec 04 15:00:26 EET 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M

.... and I am completely LOST :-) (in fact this is not a new feeling
for me when speaking about maven but... )

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Hani Suleiman

So we depend on a snapshot version of a maven plugin, which isn't
released yet? Has maven not had a new release in all these months
that we've been using howardlewisship? Or are there diffs that aren't
getting into the maven source repo? If the latter ,why aren't they
being committed to maven, instead of us having to maintain the patches?

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 4, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Andreas Guther wrote:
>>
>>> Jesse,
>>>
>>> How do you manage the differences between the 2.8 SNAPSHOT you
>>> maintain on howardlewisship.com and the official version on http://
>>> svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-surefire-plugin/?
>>> Is your changes under version control?  And if so, is it open
>>> accessible?
>>>
>>> Another question?  What do you think about providing the latest
>>> TestNG versions on the howardlewisship.com maven repository?  Since
>>> your SNAPSHOT is there, why not putting the  TestNG  versions there
>>> as well?
>>
>> I'm still perplexed by why we need to use howardlewishship.com, can
>> someone remind me of the issue, and what in theory we'd have to do to
>> avoid that?
>>

> I may be wrong but here is my understanding:
>
> - there are a couple of fixes for maven stuff that do not exist yet in
> their plugin(s)/etc distributions; due to this Jesse is keeping a
> patched version of these on howardlewis.... server.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So we depend on a snapshot version of a maven plugin, which isn't
> released yet? Has maven not had a new release in all these months
> that we've been using howardlewisship? Or are there diffs that aren't
> getting into the maven source repo? If the latter ,why aren't they
> being committed to maven, instead of us having to maintain the patches?

I think it is the latter... and the reason I guess is that we don't
have a maven commit-enabled guy :-). However, as I already said I have
checked out "some" sourcecode that hopefully is the one to be used and
once I understand what it is needed I will start pinging maven people.
If you know such people - and I think you know as you have too a
special relationship with them - then we should coordinate our
efforts. But I will need a couple of days to understand what is
happening in that code.

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> >> I'm still perplexed by why we need to use howardlewishship.com, can
> >> someone remind me of the issue, and what in theory we'd have to do to
> >> avoid that?
> >>

> > I may be wrong but here is my understanding:
> >
> > - there are a couple of fixes for maven stuff that do not exist yet in
> > their plugin(s)/etc distributions; due to this Jesse is keeping a
> > patched version of these on howardlewis.... server.
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Hani Suleiman

Yes, I cant imagine it'd be too hard to talk one of them into it, I'm
sure Jesse did it at some point, so I'll hold off kicking up a fuss
with any maven guys I run into until we know the full story!

So do we have concrete reasons as to why they won't accept our patches?

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So we depend on a snapshot version of a maven plugin, which isn't
>> released yet? Has maven not had a new release in all these months
>> that we've been using howardlewisship? Or are there diffs that aren't
>> getting into the maven source repo? If the latter ,why aren't they
>> being committed to maven, instead of us having to maintain the
>> patches?
>>

> I think it is the latter... and the reason I guess is that we don't
> have a maven commit-enabled guy :-). However, as I already said I have
> checked out "some" sourcecode that hopefully is the one to be used and
> once I understand what it is needed I will start pinging maven people.
> If you know such people - and I think you know as you have too a
> special relationship with them - then we should coordinate our
> efforts. But I will need a couple of days to understand what is
> happening in that code.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator

>>> I may be wrong but here is my understanding:
>>>
>>> - there are a couple of fixes for maven stuff that do not exist
>>> yet in
>>> their plugin(s)/etc distributions; due to this Jesse is keeping a
>>> patched version of these on howardlewis.... server.
>>>
>>> ./alex
>>> --
>>> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>>>   TestNG co-founder
>>> EclipseTestNG Creator

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Brett Porter

Erm, as far as I recall, we'd gotten all of Jesse's patches applied up
to a point, but had been dragging our feet on getting a release out
the door. Someone had it on their list, and I think it was coming
around again in the next week or so to clear any additional patches
and get it out the door.

Am I missing something? I was pretty sure Maven's trunk had everything
that was on the custom release.

I'm pretty much buried this month, but if for some reason it still
isn't done by the new year, I'll take care of it.

- Brett

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
"Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Hani Suleiman

So all that has to happen is a new maven release (good lord, never
thought the day would come when I'm clamouring for that!) which will
happen early January at the very latest, then we can get rid of
howardlewishship. Anyone who thinks that assertion is incorrect for
whatever reason, holler now!

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Erm, as far as I recall, we'd gotten all of Jesse's patches applied up
> to a point, but had been dragging our feet on getting a release out
> the door. Someone had it on their list, and I think it was coming
> around again in the next week or so to clear any additional patches
> and get it out the door.
>
> Am I missing something? I was pretty sure Maven's trunk had everything
> that was on the custom release.
>
> I'm pretty much buried this month, but if for some reason it still
> isn't done by the new year, I'll take care of it.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 05/12/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I cant imagine it'd be too hard to talk one of them into it, I'm
>> sure Jesse did it at some point, so I'll hold off kicking up a fuss
>> with any maven guys I run into until we know the full story!
>>
>> So do we have concrete reasons as to why they won't accept our
>> patches?

>>> I think it is the latter... and the reason I guess is that we don't
>>> have a maven commit-enabled guy :-). However, as I already said I
>>> have
>>> checked out "some" sourcecode that hopefully is the one to be
>>> used and
>>> once I understand what it is needed I will start pinging maven
>>> people.
>>> If you know such people - and I think you know as you have too a
>>> special relationship with them - then we should coordinate our
>>> efforts. But I will need a couple of days to understand what is
>>> happening in that code.
>>>
>>> ./alex
>>> --
>>> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>>>   TestNG co-founder
>>> EclipseTestNG Creator

> --
> Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
> "Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/4/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So all that has to happen is a new maven release (good lord, never
> thought the day would come when I'm clamouring for that!) which will
> happen early January at the very latest, then we can get rid of
> howardlewishship. Anyone who thinks that assertion is incorrect for
> whatever reason, holler now!

I.... I don't think this is enough, as at some point my understand was
that the patches submitted by Jesse were based on some TestNG
internals that got changed... and this is not gonna work.

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

> > Erm, as far as I recall, we'd gotten all of Jesse's patches applied up
> > to a point, but had been dragging our feet on getting a release out
> > the door. Someone had it on their list, and I think it was coming
> > around again in the next week or so to clear any additional patches
> > and get it out the door.
> >
> > Am I missing something? I was pretty sure Maven's trunk had everything
> > that was on the custom release.
> >
> > I'm pretty much buried this month, but if for some reason it still
> > isn't done by the new year, I'll take care of it.
> >
> > - Brett
> >
> > On 05/12/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, I cant imagine it'd be too hard to talk one of them into it, I'm
> >> sure Jesse did it at some point, so I'll hold off kicking up a fuss
> >> with any maven guys I run into until we know the full story!
> >>
> >> So do we have concrete reasons as to why they won't accept our
> >> patches?

> > --
> > Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
> > "Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Andreas Guther-2
Jesse,

I suppose we have tests that show us if Maven has all the patches we are addressing.  I did not look into the TestNG SVN but if not already done I think it would be helpful if we could manage them in the TestNG SVN together with the patch files.

Regards,

Andreas

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
"Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

I assume according to the timestamps that the patches in TESTNG-122
issue are newer than the ones in the maven issue specified in the
README file. Am I correct?

On 12/4/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm. Getting an officially documented overview would probably be nice,
> but I fail to see why this
>
> http://testng.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/maven2/README.txt
>
> and
>
> http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122
>
> aren't enough for anyone to get properly started. It's not exactly "my
> code" so much as code that I've attempted to tweak/maintain as best I
> can.
>
> On 12/3/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am redirecting this to the dev group.
> >
> > I am also volunteering in assisting Jesse.  I am maintaining our internal
> > repository in the company I am working and I am there the Maven guy.  Let me
> > know where I can help.
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> > On 12/3/06, Alexandru Popescu
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > me
> > > >

> > > I was offering myself in a couple of times... with the only condition
> > > to have some initial description of what has been done and where to
> > > look for. I am still strong on this. The most complaints I have heard
> > > about TestNG were about its maven support and I would definitely like
> > > to make it as stable as the rest of it (no offense Jesse).
> > >
> > > ./alex
> > > --
> > > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > >   TestNG co-founder
> > > EclipseTestNG Creator

> --
> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Jessek

Right. I don't remember what version of the maven pom files I gave you
but hopefully they are the clean maven versions. The ones that I have
maintained for the 2.8-SNAPSHOT versions have different versioning /
snapshot repos enabled as well as specific directives for deploying to
howardlewisship.com.

You may also find that you have to do a bit of "dancing" back and
forth between the maven-surefire-plugin and surefire directories
before you can get everything installed / resolving correctly locally.
When in trouble you can always run "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true
install" to bypass any failing tests. (because of circular
dependencies )

Once you are able to build them at all and have everything installed
locally you can use the testng/pom.xml file to install the latest
TestNG version locally as specified in the pom.xml files description
comments up top. This seems to currently be somewhat broken so you may
have to change a couple things in their wrt build directory layouts to
make it install correctly.

From there you should start to have a somewhat workable environment to
begin any new developments / refactoring / etc. Here are some pointers
as to how I go about doing this in my environment:

-) Keep at least three console windows open. One for surefire, one for
maven-surefire-plugin and one for TestNG. I usually like to keep the
last install command handy in my buffer history to avoid too much
whiplash when going back and forth between directories.

-) When running into issues with unit tests / etc you can run "mvn -e
" to get stack trace exceptions printed to std out and "mvn -X" to get
extremely verbose debug statements. I tend to stay away from "mvn -X"
unless I need to see very specific information about which jars are
being loaded into the classloader. Mostly I use System.out statements
from there.

-) The maven-surefire-plugin/src/it directory contains all of the
integration tests. These are your best friend and where the majority
of the testing work normally takes place. There should be something in
there to cover the majority of use cases supported by the plugin
currently. (ability to run junit + testng tests / testng annotation
tests / testng javadoc qdox tests / etc )

-) The biggest difference between what is currently published in the
maven snapshot repos and what the patches contain are fixes for jdk
1.4 based javadoc tests.

-) Whenever you run into an issue involving "maven not running <foo>
unit tests" it is most common to find that something bad has happened
with a classloader somewhere. This is where the fun normally begins :)
There are some very fragile points of code to look at here.
Classloader issues will come up from the core bootstrap provider code
(under surefire ) , as well as the TestNG specific code sitting under
surefire/providers.

When you are finally done with all of your changes there is another
maven dev in particular who has said he will look at TestNG related
patches as quickly as possible. (as he uses them himself) Post a patch
to JIRA and possibly a quick little ping on the maven dev list (with a
good subject line) and you should probably get them applied very
quickly.

There may be more issues / questions, I will try my best to answer
them as they come up.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/4/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right. I don't remember what version of the maven pom files I gave you
> but hopefully they are the clean maven versions. The ones that I have
> maintained for the 2.8-SNAPSHOT versions have different versioning /
> snapshot repos enabled as well as specific directives for deploying to
> howardlewisship.com.

As I mentioned in a previous email, I have used the code checked out
from maven SVN. I haven't received any custom maven pom files.

> You may also find that you have to do a bit of "dancing" back and
> forth between the maven-surefire-plugin and surefire directories
> before you can get everything installed / resolving correctly locally.
> When in trouble you can always run "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true
> install" to bypass any failing tests. (because of circular
> dependencies )
>
> Once you are able to build them at all and have everything installed
> locally you can use the testng/pom.xml file to install the latest
> TestNG version locally as specified in the pom.xml files description
> comments up top. This seems to currently be somewhat broken so you may
> have to change a couple things in their wrt build directory layouts to
> make it install correctly.

I have everything compiling in Eclipse, even if I always see the
previous exception when trying mvn install in the
maven-surefire-plugin. But for me it really doesn't matter as far as I
can compile everything.

> From there you should start to have a somewhat workable environment to
> begin any new developments / refactoring / etc. Here are some pointers
> as to how I go about doing this in my environment:
>
> -) Keep at least three console windows open. One for surefire, one for
> maven-surefire-plugin and one for TestNG. I usually like to keep the
> last install command handy in my buffer history to avoid too much
> whiplash when going back and forth between directories.

Last install command meaning what?

> -) When running into issues with unit tests / etc you can run "mvn -e
> " to get stack trace exceptions printed to std out and "mvn -X" to get
> extremely verbose debug statements. I tend to stay away from "mvn -X"
> unless I need to see very specific information about which jars are
> being loaded into the classloader. Mostly I use System.out statements
> from there.

Thanks. I will keep in mind the mvn -e and mvn -X

> -) The maven-surefire-plugin/src/it directory contains all of the
> integration tests. These are your best friend and where the majority
> of the testing work normally takes place. There should be something in
> there to cover the majority of use cases supported by the plugin
> currently. (ability to run junit + testng tests / testng annotation
> tests / testng javadoc qdox tests / etc )

Frankly speaking I haven't understood anything from those "it" tests.

> -) The biggest difference between what is currently published in the
> maven snapshot repos and what the patches contain are fixes for jdk
> 1.4 based javadoc tests.

This should be fixed and dealt with within TestNG core and not
externally. So, I need to take a look.

> -) Whenever you run into an issue involving "maven not running <foo>
> unit tests" it is most common to find that something bad has happened
> with a classloader somewhere. This is where the fun normally begins :)
> There are some very fragile points of code to look at here.
> Classloader issues will come up from the core bootstrap provider code
> (under surefire ) , as well as the TestNG specific code sitting under
> surefire/providers.

I am not gonna question why the classloading mechanism are used... or
at least not yet.

> When you are finally done with all of your changes there is another
> maven dev in particular who has said he will look at TestNG related
> patches as quickly as possible. (as he uses them himself) Post a patch
> to JIRA and possibly a quick little ping on the maven dev list (with a
> good subject line) and you should probably get them applied very
> quickly.

Thanks.

> [...]
> >         ... 20 more
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > [INFO] Total time: < 1 second
> > [INFO] Finished at: Mon Dec 04 15:00:26 EET 2006
> > [INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
> > [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > .... and I am completely LOST :-) (in fact this is not a new feeling
> > for me when speaking about maven but... )
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >

> --
> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Re: TestNG 5.3 is not available in the central Maven repo

I think this is being looked at currently. I would normally just make
a new release and push it out - but as mr. potter pointed out - the
goal is more to find a better lasting solution this time around that
minimizes the future potential for bugs/brokenness when things change
from either project.