Problems with Intellij Plugin

Tim Fennell-3

I recently upgraded to the Intellij 6.0.3 and when I went into the
plugins dialog I was offered an update to the TestNG-J plugin, which I
installed and restarted.

Now, whenever I try to run a TestNG test IntelliJ becomes unresponsive
for around 15-30 seconds and then the little notification shows up in
the bottom right of the screen telling me something bad happened! This
happens every time I try to run a TestNG test in intellij :(

The exception stack trace presented int he "IDE Fatal Errors" window is
as follows:

Error during dispatching of
java.awt.event.MouseEvent[MOUSE_RELEASED,(103,489),button=1,modifiers=Button1,clickCount=1]
on ###overrideRedirect###
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
com.intellij.codeInsight.AnnotationUtil.findAnnotation(AnnotationUtil.java:73)
at
com.theoryinpractice.testng.util.TestNGUtil.filterAnnotations(TestNGUtil.java:148)
at
com.theoryinpractice.testng.TestNGRunnableState.calculateDependencies(TestNGRunnableState.java:422)
at
com.theoryinpractice.testng.TestNGRunnableState.createJavaParameters(TestNGRunnableState.java:243)
at
com.intellij.execution.configurations.JavaCommandLineState.getJavaParameters(JavaCommandLineState.java:30)
at
com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.executeCommandLine(RunStrategy.java:41)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.a(RunStrategy.java:67)
at
com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.access$000(RunStrategy.java:46)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy$3.run(RunStrategy.java:6)
at
com.intellij.execution.impl.ExecutionManagerImpl$1.run(ExecutionManagerImpl.java:9)
at
com.intellij.execution.impl.ExecutionManagerImpl.compileAndRun(ExecutionManagerImpl.java:25)
at
com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.execute(RunStrategy.java:35)
at
com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.execute(RunStrategy.java:90)
at
com.intellij.execution.actions.RunContextAction.perform(RunContextAction.java:1)
at
com.intellij.execution.actions.BaseRunConfigurationAction.actionPerformed(BaseRunConfigurationAction.java:14)
at
com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem$ActionTransmitter.actionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:8)
at
javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882)
at
com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem.fireActionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:24)
at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.a(BegMenuItemUI.java:110)
at
com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.access$300(BegMenuItemUI.java:84)
at
com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI$MyMouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BegMenuItemUI.java:7)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5554)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:15)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:71)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:84)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

Does anyone have any insight on what might be causing this?  Is it a
bug in the plugin?  A weird setup issue on my end?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Cheers,

-t

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Mark Derricutt
On 1/13/07, Tim Fennell <[hidden email]> wrote:

The exception stack trace presented int he "IDE Fatal Errors" window is
as follows:

Interesting - this NPE seems to be cropping up for more people now.  I've not seen it myself, but looking at the stacktrace the NPE is triggering somewhere inside IDEA.  Are you able to make a simple standalone project which triggers the problem?  I suspect it may be triggered by a particular type of annotation used.

I'll post the trace over on the IDEA OpenAPI forum and see what comes back...

Mark

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

http://www.talios.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Mark Derricutt
Hi TIm,

I just posted a new build of the plugin to the repository which SHOULD fix this - I wasn't able to reproduce the actual problem but have added NP checks to calls leading into this stack-trace.

Let me know if you still see the problem.

Mark

[...]

tarun3kumar

Hey Mark, I am running IntelliJ IDEA 6.0.3 and just upgraded the TestNG plugin to 0.5.4 hoping to get the NPE problem fixed, but it seems that the problem is still there. This is happening when pressing Ctrl-Shift-10 on a particular test class or test method. For instance, I have a very simple class with only method that has the @Test annotation and I can reproduce the problem by using Ctrl-Shift-10 (which is the same as running something selected). This is the stack trace produced by IDEA:

No message
[...]
        at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocator$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocator.java:1)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:15)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:155)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:84)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

I hope this helps.

Marcelo

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Mark Derricutt
Hmmm, doh :(

My guess is that its nothing on the @Test but another class in the project which has annotations, are you able to send me a zip'd project that reproduces this at all?

Mark

On 1/15/07, Marcelo Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I can't send you the project due to IP issues, but I just tested a very simple one with no other module dependencies and it works fine. So, as you said, it must something very specific to my project... some weird annotation somewhere... I will keep investigating and I will let you know what I find out. Thanks.
Marcelo

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Mark Derricutt
On 1/15/07, Marcelo Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry, I can't send you the project due to IP issues, but I just tested a very simple one with no other module dependencies and

Yeh, I kinda expected that but hoped a smaller test project might reproduce it.  I've had some people report the last change solve the problem, so theres definitely something odd going on...

Mark

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

http://www.talios.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Tim Fennell-3

Unfortunatley this didn't fix it for me either.  I also have some IP
issues with posting this kind of thing to a forum, but I'll see if I
can cut down our project to something small, and maybe put it somewhere
you can get at it (Mark) that's not totally public.

Thanks for the effort on this!

-t

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

Erik Hanson-3

Mark Derricutt wrote:
> I just posted a new build of the plugin to the repository which SHOULD fix
> this - I wasn't able to reproduce the actual problem but have added NP
> checks to calls leading into this stack-trace.

I'm still getting NPEs from inside AnnotationUtil.findAnnotation.

If all the code I'm looking at is in sync with the binaries I'm using,
then the problem seems to be that sometimes
PsiModifierListOwner.getModifierList() returns null.

So you might want to update this line:

if (psiClass == null || psiClass instanceof PsiAnonymousClass)
continue;

to this:

if (psiClass == null || psiClass instanceof PsiAnonymousClass ||
psiClass.getModfierList() == null) continue;

Erik

Mark Derricutt wrote:
> I just posted a new build of the plugin to the repository which SHOULD fix
> this - I wasn't able to reproduce the actual problem but have added NP
> checks to calls leading into this stack-trace.

[My original message didn't seem to go through. Sorry if this is a
dupe.]

If the source code I'm looking at is in sync with the binaries I'm
using, then it looks like the problem is that
PsiModifierListOwner.getModifierList() is sometimes null.

So instead of this:

  if (psiClass == null || psiClass instanceof PsiAnonymousClass)
continue;

perhaps this would solve the problem:

  if (psiClass == null || psiClass instanceof PsiAnonymousClass ||
psiClass.getModifierList() == null) continue;

Erik

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

tarun3kumar

I just upgraded to version 0.5.5 of TestNG plugin and the NullPointerException problem is still there. This is the stacktrace:

No message
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.intellij.codeInsight.AnnotationUtil.findAnnotation(AnnotationUtil.java:73)
        at com.theoryinpractice.testng.util.TestNGUtil.filterAnnotations(TestNGUtil.java:148)
        at com.theoryinpractice.testng.TestNGRunnableState.calculateDependencies(TestNGRunnableState.java:422)
        at com.theoryinpractice.testng.TestNGRunnableState.createJavaParameters(TestNGRunnableState.java:243)
        at com.intellij.execution.configurations.JavaCommandLineState.getJavaParameters(JavaCommandLineState.java:30)
        at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.executeCommandLine(RunStrategy.java:53)
        at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.a(RunStrategy.java:88)
        at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.access$000(RunStrategy.java:71)
        at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy$3.run(RunStrategy.java:3)
        at com.intellij.execution.impl.ExecutionManagerImpl$1.run(ExecutionManagerImpl.java:11)
        at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocator$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocator.java:10)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:8)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:72)
        at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:73)

On 1/20/07, Marcelo Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just upgraded to version 0.5.5 of TestNG plugin and the NullPointerException problem is still there. This is the stacktrace:

Hi there,

Just chasing up on this old email - a new release of the plugin was made the other day which should solve this.  We tracked it down to being a module with JSP files (or at least when a JspClass PsiElement instance was going into the routine) - trapping this seems to have solved the issue..

Mark

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

http://www.talios.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios

Re: Problems with Intellij Plugin

tarun3kumar