Problems upgrading to testNG 6.14.3

PerfectStorm
We are trying to upgrade from testng 6.9.4 to 6.14.3 and we are running into issues where all tests do not running and the suite just stops. I have determined that the issue causing this to happen is we have group-by-instances="true" set in our suite file. If I remove this all tests will run but I get a large amount of failures because the tests are running the the @afterClass out of order. An example below

Currently are tests run like this

@BeforeSuite
@BeforeClass
@Test
@AfterClass
@BeforeClass
@Test
@AfterClass
@AfterSuite

When I remove group-by-instances="true" it now runs like this

@BeforeSuite
@BeforeClass
@Test
@BeforeClass
@Test
@AfterClass
@BeforeClass
@Test
@AfterClass
@AfterSuite

It is not honoring the @AfterClass in the same class

It seems whatever changed the behavior of what worked before for us was in 6.9.5. I tried upgrading to that and I saw the same issue

Some other info
We run the tests by using a regular expression on the package <package name="com.XXXXXX.XXXXXX.restapi.tests.*"> so we only have this one line in our suite file to run all of our tests

All tests extend one base test class which has the @BeforeSuite and @afterSuite in it

Any Thoughts of what could have changed this behavior in 6.9.5?

Re: Problems upgrading to testNG 6.14.3

Krishnan Mahadevan

John,

Please help share a full-fledged test sample that can be used to reproduce the issue.

Re: Problems upgrading to testNG 6.14.3

Rajitha Nyalakanti
Any update on this issue. I did see this when I run all tests in the suite.

My Scribblings @ <a href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

My Technical Scribbings @ <a href="http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;">http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/

Date: Monday, March 12, 2018 at 10:00 PM
To: testng-users <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ZifIXZOFBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">testng...@...>

[...]

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit

Re: Problems upgrading to testNG 6.14.3

Krishnan Mahadevan
What update are you expecting? If you are also experiencing the same issue, please help share a sample project that we can use to reproduce the issue and debug.

My Technical Scribblings @ http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/