New listener result.getTestName() is null

New listener result.getTestName() is null

testnguser-5

I have  a listener extending TestListenerAdapter. Functions such as getMethod etc. work perfectly. But getTestName() shows null. My TestNGSuite.xml file specifies
<suite ....>
<test name="hellotest" ....>

//listener class
public void onTestFailure(ITestResult result) {

        System.out.println("Test Name :: "+result.getTestName());

    }

Am I specifying it wrong?

Thanks!

Re: New listener result.getTestName() is null

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝
Harini,
getTestName() returns the value that you configure your Testclass to implement ITest interface and then have it return the desired test name.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM, testnguser <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have  a listener extending TestListenerAdapter. Functions such as getMethod etc. work perfectly. But getTestName() shows null. My TestNGSuite.xml file specifies
<suite ....>
<test name="hellotest" ....>

//listener class
public void onTestFailure(ITestResult result) {

        System.out.println("Test Name :: "+result.getTestName());

    }

Am I specifying it wrong?

Thanks!

Re: New listener result.getTestName() is null

testnguser-5
Hello,

Thanks a lot for the tip. :) It works if I set the testName.
My bad, I did not notice the documentation. Is there a way I can receive the testName from my suite.xml file?
Thanks!

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:00:28 AM UTC-7, Krishnan wrote:
[...]

Am not aware of anything out there that could already do this for you in TestNG. .
This was something that came up at the top of my head and on the fly :)

nr

Krishnan Mahadevan <krishnan.mahadevan1978@...> writes:

> You could try passing it via  <at> Parameters and then have the  <at> Test
method set the value for the test name in a data member of your test class which
can be returned back by the ITest interface method.

> Would that help?On Wednesday, July 25, 2012, testnguser  wrote:Hello,
> Thanks a lot for the tip. :) It works if I set the testName.
> My bad, I did not notice the documentation. Is there a way I can receive the
testName from my suite.xml file?
> Thanks!
>
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:00:28 AM UTC-7, Krishnan wrote:
> Javadocs : http://testng.org/javadoc/org/testng/ITestResult.html#getTestName%28%29
>

> Thanks & Regards
> Krishnan Mahadevan"All the desirable things in life are either illegal,
expensive, fattening or in love with someone else!"On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:28
PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <krishnan.mahadevan1978 <at> gmail.com>
wrote:Harini,getTestName() returns the value that you configure your Testclass

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have  a listener extending TestListenerAdapter. Functions such as getMethod
etc. work perfectly. But getTestName() shows null. My TestNGSuite.xml file
specifies <suite ....><test name="hellotest" ....>//listener classpublic void
onTestFailure(ITestResult result) {                System.out.println("Test Name
:: "+result.getTestName());            }Am I specifying it wrong?Thanks!

Hi Krishnan,

i have tried the same but for the first set of data i am getting the name as
"defaultTestName" and second set of data i am getting testcase name from first
set of dataprovider data.

can you please share some code how you have done.

here is the sample code snippet how i did. I want the first parameter of the
dataprovider to be set as testcase name in the report.

public class AuditIntegrationTest implements ITest{
        private String name;

          public AuditIntegrationTest(String name) {
          this.name = name;
      }
        @Test(groups = { "Smoke", "Positive","Regression","example"}, dataProvider =
"sampleProvider")
        public void testSampleTestcase(String testCase,
                        String testDesc) throws Exception {
                //ITestAnnotation.setTestName(testDesc);
                this.name=testCase;
                assertNotNull(testDesc);

        }

        @DataProvider(name = "sampleProvider")
        public static Object[][] getSampleProvider() {
                Object[][] retObjArr = new Object[][] {
                                {"Testcase1", "sample1"},
                                {"Testcase2", "sample2"},
                                {"Testcase3", "sample3"},