My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

tarun3kumar

Hi,

I have a confusion regarding [b]dependsOnMethods[/b] . Here is my test class snippet:

public class RegistrationWSUnit
{
        @BeforeSuite
        public void suite_setUp() throws Exception {
                System.out.println("In  suite setup");
        }

        @BeforeTest
        public void test_setUp()
                        throws Exception {
                System.out.println("In test setup");

        @Parameters( { "wsdl", "requestpath" })
        public void registerEntity(String wsdl, String requestpath)
                {
                System.out.println("In test registerEntity...");
        }

        @Test(dependsOnMethods  = {"registerEntity"})
        @Parameters( { "wsdl", "requestpath" })
        public void getEntity(String wsdl, String requestpath)
        {
                System.out.println("In test getEntity...");

I need to test the following:
1)Register an entity
2)Then test getEntity for the registered entity.

To achieve this I created a dependency for getEntity on registerEntity.
For registerEntity and getEntity the parameters wsdl,requestpath need to have different values.

My testng.xml is as below:

<suite name="RegistrationWS">

         <parameter name="wsdl" value="http://localhost:8081/manage/services/RegistrationWS?wsdl"/>
         <parameter name="errorpath" value="null"/>
         <parameter name="responsepath" value="null"/>

         <test name="registerEntity">
         <parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\registerEntity_input.xml"/>
          <classes>
           <class name="RegistrationWSUnit">
            <methods>
            <include name="registerEntity" />
                        </methods>
           </class>
  <test name="getEntity">
         <parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\getEntity_input.xml"/>
          <classes>
           <class name="com.ca.ops.test.webservices.RegistrationWSUnit">
            <methods>
            <include name="getEntity" />
            <include name="registerEntity" />
                        </methods>
           </class>

What I was hoping is :

1) First registerEntity test will be executed.
2)Then while executing getEntity, it should just check if registerEntity test is already executed and passed. If it is already executed and passed, then invoke getEntity; else skip getEntity.

What is happening is:

1)First registerEntity gets executed
2)While executing getEntity, it again executes registerEntity and that too with getEntity parameters. Here registerEntity gets executed twice.

Is there any way that registerEntity gets executed only once?OR Any way that i can pass different parameters to the dependency (registerEntity from getEntity)?

Thanks in advance,
Ram

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 1/8/07, Ram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>                                 <include name="registerEntity" />
>                         </methods>
>            </class>
>           </classes>
>         </test>
>
> </suite>
>
> What I was hoping is :
>
> 1) First registerEntity test will be executed.
> 2)Then while executing getEntity, it should just check if registerEntity test is already executed and passed. If it is already executed and passed, then invoke getEntity; else skip getEntity.
>
> What is happening is:
>
> 1)First registerEntity gets executed
> 2)While executing getEntity, it again executes registerEntity and that too with getEntity parameters. Here registerEntity gets executed twice.
>
> Is there any way that registerEntity gets executed only once?OR Any way that i can pass different parameters to the dependency (registerEntity from getEntity)?

Hi Ram!

Here are a couple of details that hopefully will clarify the above behavior.

1/ You have correctly  expressed the dependency, so _theoretically_
your expectation is right. But in the suite definition file you have
instructed TestNG to run 2 tests: 1 including only the registerEntity
and the 2nd including both methods. Tests are independent unit, and
the dependencies are not crossing the borders of a test. This is the
reason you are seeing registerEntity twice. To run it only once, you
should leave in the suite definition (testng.xml) only the 2nd test
.definition.

2/ Passing different parameter value.

There are different approaches available for this. If you want to pass
it in a statical way - through the means of @Parameters - you can
always use 2 different names for it. In your case you can specify a
registerRequestPath and getRequestPath.

There are also dynamic ways to pass parameters to your test methods
through the means of @DataProvider. Either you declare each of your
@Test methods as using different @DataProvider (this will probably
keep things clear when re-reading the test) or you can use the same
@DataProvider method and decide using its Method argument what values
to return (oh yes, a @DataProvider method can declare a Method
attribute and then use it internally to decide what values to return).

I think that using the above details you will be able to make your
test work right away.

HTH,

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

tarun3kumar

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree that @DataProvider solves this in one way....
Ok..But going forward ultimately I would like to develop my testcases in generic way (framework sort of) as follows:

1) Basically I am looking to write unit tests for my webservices.
2) I would like to have a generic test method which can be used to invoke any webservice with the passed in parameters - wsdl,requestxmlfile.

My test method  would look like this:

public class WSUnit
{

@Test
        @Parameters( { "wsdl", "requestpath" })
        public void testWebMethod(String wsdl, String requestpath)
                         throws Exception {

               //Testing webmethod...

This method will invoke Webservice 'wsdl' posting  the xml in 'requestpath' file .

And  my testng.xml would look like this:

<suite name="RegistrationWSSuite">

<parameter name="wsdl" value="http://localhost:8081/manage/services/RegistrationWS?wsdl"/>
<parameter name="errorpath" value="null"/>
<parameter name="responsepath" value="null"/>

<test name="registerEntity">
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\registerEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>
<test name="getEntity">
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\getEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>

Here ideally i would like to have a facility to add a 'dynamic' dependency  to my 'test' . Something like this in testng.xml:
<test name="getEntity" [b]dependsOnTests="registerEntity"[/b]>
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\getEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>

Atleast for me, I think 'dependencyOnTests' could be potentially more useful than
'dependencyOnMethods'.

[b]>>>Tests are independent unit, and the dependencies are not crossing the borders of a test[/b]
---It would be good if ''dependencyOnTests'  works the way i specified before......
i.e
While executing a dependent test, it should check if 'dependsOn' test is already executed and passed. If it is already executed and passed, then execute dependent test ; else skip it.

Just as an example, this can be designed similar to targets and dependencies in Ant.

These are my thoughts and 'like to have'  features from my end......Let me know if these makes sense for you too...

Thanks for your patience...for reading through... :).

> [...]

> </classes>
> </test>
>
> Atleast for me, I think 'dependencyOnTests' could be potentially more useful than
> 'dependencyOnMethods'.
>
> [b]>>>Tests are independent unit, and the dependencies are not crossing the borders of a test[/b]
> ---It would be good if ''dependencyOnTests'  works the way i specified before......
> i.e
> While executing a dependent test, it should check if 'dependsOn' test is already executed and passed. If it is already executed and passed, then execute dependent test ; else skip it.
>
> Just as an example, this can be designed similar to targets and dependencies in Ant.
>
> These are my thoughts and 'like to have'  features from my end......Let me know if these makes sense for you too...
>
> Thanks for your patience...for reading through... :).

Ram I am afraid I am not understanding. Here is what I got so far: you
want to test your webservice. Such a test requires 2 steps:
registration + requests. The relation is that requests will work only
if the registration worked.  This can be translated in either
dependsOnMethods or dependsOnGroups. And in your case I am still
unclear why dependsOnMethods is not enough.

Please let me know if this clarifies the problem or not :-).

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

tarun3kumar

Hi Alex,

Sorry if I have confused you. I will try to make this clear.

My basic requirement is to test my webservices. Initially i was thinking of writing 'separate test methods' to test each of the webservice methods (Ex: registerEntity, getEntity as  specified).So,as you suggested  @DataProvider seems to clear my confusion  in a way.

After some rethought, I thought it would be ideal to achieve this in  the following way:

1) I would like to have a base class 'WSUnit' which will have a generic method
'testWebMethod' which can invoke any webservice taking - wsdl, requestxmlfile as parameters.
2) To test any webservice method i would like to the use this generic method unless i  have to do anything specific to test that method.

So the class WSUnit would look like this:

public class WSUnit
{
@Test
@Parameters( { "wsdl", "requestpath" })
public void testWebMethod(String wsdl, String requestpath)
throws Exception {
//Testing webmethod...

Now to test my web methods registerEntity and getEntity, testng.xml would have the following:

<suite name="RegistrationWSSuite">

<parameter name="wsdl" value="http://localhost:8081/manage/services/RegistrationWS?wsdl"/>

<test name="registerEntity">
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\registerEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>
<test name="getEntity">
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\getEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>

As you can see, the obvious advantage of this approach is:

To test any webservice methods  i just need to change my  testng.xml,create a couple of request xml files.I need not add any  methods in the code and recompile....

This is good so far. Now i want to add the dependencies between tests.
As you can see i cannot use 'dependsOnMethods' as i am using a single test method to test all my webservices.

So i need to somehow able to define dependencies in testng.xml itself.

To achieve this, what i was looking for is to  be able to define something like this in testng.xml: (to define that getEntity depends on registerEntity)

<test name="getEntity" [b]dependsOnTests[/b]="registerEntity" >
<parameter name="requestpath" value="\references\getEntity_input.xml"/>
<classes>
<class name="WSUnit">
<methods>
<include name="testWebMethod" />
</methods>
</class>

This would help to define test dependencies in testng.xml. (Just a similar concept to target dependencies in ant).

Plz let me know if  i made it clear this time.
And Do you think this entire thing makes sense?

Thanks,
Ram

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

Cédric Beust ♔
Hi Ram,

It seems to me that the only reason why you're using different <test> tags is to use different sets of parameters.  For this reason, I would recommend using @DataProvider instead, especially since you are feeding the very same method on the same class.

Try to get the dependencies working with a @DataProvider by hardcoding the values in your provider first, and when you get that down, you can externalize the parameters (wdsl, requestPath) into whatever is convenient to you, like a Properties file.

[...]

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Yes, I agree that this can be done as you suggested. But i still think that - 'dependsOnTests'  i.e 'to be able to define test dependencies in testng.xml'  is the right/logical way of  achieving this. And also it is a pretty useful feature to have - eases out stuff in some cases.

Anyways, if you guys dont think the same...plz ignore it.

On 1/9/07, Ram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cedric,
>
> Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
>
> Yes, I agree that this can be done as you suggested. But i still think that - 'dependsOnTests'  i.e 'to be able to define test dependencies in testng.xml'  is the right/logical way of  achieving this. And also it is a pretty useful feature to have - eases out stuff in some cases.
>
> Anyways, if you guys dont think the same...plz ignore it.

Hi Ram and thanks for the suggestion. So far we haven't thought about
this feature this way and we considered that test-s should be
independent. Moreover, nobody has asked for it or prooved it necessary
(your scenario comes close but as I suggested there are better ways to
solve it for now). We will keep it in mind and add it if needed.

> Thanks,
> Ram

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

Hi Ram,

One of the design goals of TestNG is to enforce a strict separation between the static and dynamic parts of your tests:
  • The static part of your tests is your test logic and how the test methods relate to each other.
  • The dynamic part of your tests is telling TestNG which tests should be run.
For this reason, I still firmly believe that dependency information should be in the annotations and not in the XML file.  Another argument against doing allowing dependencies in XML is that it makes it harder to look in one place (your code) and find out what the interdepencies are.  I am very concerned that if dependencies can be specified in the annotations *and* the XML file, it will become extremely hard to follow what your tests do (especially if the rules in these two locations contradict each other).

Does this make sense?

On 1/9/07, Ram <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Yes, I agree that this can be done as you suggested. But i still think that - 'dependsOnTests'  i.e 'to be able to define test dependencies in testng.xml'  is the right/logical way of  achieving this. And also it is a pretty useful feature to have - eases out stuff in some cases.

Anyways, if you guys dont think the same...plz ignore it.

Thanks,
Ram

Re: My Confusion regarding 'dependsOnMethods'

tarun3kumar

Yes seems to do.
Actually the problem is I am more used to xml configurations.....rather than annotations ...may be that is the reason i tend to think that way.

Thanks for the reply.
Ram