Maven2 support code

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Hi guys!

I need some guidance while working on the Maven2 integration code so
any hints are highly appreciated:

1/ The SurefireTestSuite interface defines the following methods:

[code]
    void execute( ReporterManager reporterManager, ClassLoader classLoader )
        throws ReporterException, TestSetFailedException;

    void execute( String testSetName, ReporterManager reporterManager,
ClassLoader classLoader )
        throws ReporterException, TestSetFailedException;

    int getNumTests();
[/code]

Here are some questions + remarks:

a) the number of tests is unknown in advance, so what should we return
from it? Currently the implementors are returning 1, so I am wondering
if this is good enough to fulfill the contract.

b) The 2 execute methods seems pretty similar except the testSetName
parameter which I guess is something meant for JUnit to allow you to
run a single test method (or something along these lines).

In TestNG you are running either a number of suite definition files or
a set of classes. So, I am wondering what would be the correspondent
behavior for testSetName:

- for a suite definition file it is not possible to separate a <test>
from its suite as it depends on a couple of important things:
parameters, @Before/@AfterSuite methods, etc.

Also I would like to know what is the way you configure Maven so that
this testSetName parameter is used.

2/ I am aware of at least 2 bugs related to TestNG opened on Surefire JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-58
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-59

I am completely puzzled by the first one as I cannot find any
reference to  org.testng.internal.annotations.JDK15AnnotationFinder in
org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGDirectoryTestSuite

I am currently looking at the code checked out from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/surefire/trunk (latest revision
I have 479603). Am I looking in the wrong place?

Many thanks to everybody contributing to this thread.

Re: Maven2 support code

Phillip Ross-2

Will try my best to answer questions inlined.. (of course it would be better to hear from a maven dev)

> a) the number of tests is unknown in advance, so what
> should we return
> from it? Currently the implementors are returning 1,
> so I am wondering
> if this is good enough to fulfill the contract.

No idea

> b) The 2 execute methods seems pretty similar except
> the testSetName
> parameter which I guess is something meant for JUnit
> to allow you to
> run a single test method (or something along these
> lines).
>
> In TestNG you are running either a number of suite
> definition files or
> a set of classes. So, I am wondering what would be
> the correspondent
> behavior for testSetName:
>
> - for a suite definition file it is not possible to
> separate a <test>
> from its suite as it depends on a couple of important
> things:
> parameters, @Before/@AfterSuite methods, etc.
>
> Also I would like to know what is the way you
> configure Maven so that
> this testSetName parameter is used.

I'm not positive but this may have to do with this ability:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/single-test.html

> 2/ I am aware of at least 2 bugs related to TestNG
> opened on Surefire JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-58
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-59
>
> I am completely puzzled by the first one as I cannot
> find any
> reference to
>  org.testng.internal.annotations.JDK15AnnotationFinder
> org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGDirectoryTestSu
> ite
>
> I am currently looking at the code checked out from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/surefire/trunk
> (latest revision
> I have 479603). Am I looking in the wrong place?

For these two questions I'd say the answer is simple, no one has made the surefire plugin compatible with anything > 5.1 .

I thought I had said before that the current svn repo for surefire was ~not~ the most up to date code for the plugin. Maybe this was overlooked.

The code that most people are using - which comes from 2.8-SNAPSHOT on howardlewisship.com - is the latest svn source + these patches:

http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122

If you go off of svn source only and aren't able to test all of the varying environments/etc using the plugins unit test "it" directory you are guaranteed to have a buggy non-working plugin - you really do have to use those patches.

> Many thanks to everybody contributing to this thread.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> lipseTestNG Creator

Re: Maven2 support code

Phillip Ross-2

Perhaps another approach we could use is that you identify all the sort of critical testng -> maven api points that meet and either implement the changes you'd like directly or just send out another msg outlining "how" it should work and I can go in and suffer through the items in question.

On a somewhat related topic, would there be any real harm in packaging the 1.4/1.5 jre classes all in the same jar file ? I can think of a few benefits to this and only one negative - the jar file would be larger than necessary depending on what you are doing.

Re: Maven2 support code

Thanks Jesse. Please see inline.

On 12/16/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will try my best to answer questions inlined.. (of course it would be better to hear from a maven dev)
>
> > a) the number of tests is unknown in advance, so what
> > should we return
> > from it? Currently the implementors are returning 1,
> > so I am wondering
> > if this is good enough to fulfill the contract.
> >
> No idea
>
> > b) The 2 execute methods seems pretty similar except
> > the testSetName
> > parameter which I guess is something meant for JUnit
> > to allow you to
> > run a single test method (or something along these
> > lines).
> >
> > In TestNG you are running either a number of suite
> > definition files or
> > a set of classes. So, I am wondering what would be
> > the correspondent
> > behavior for testSetName:
> >
> > - for a suite definition file it is not possible to
> > separate a <test>
> > from its suite as it depends on a couple of important
> > things:
> > parameters, @Before/@AfterSuite methods, etc.
> >
> > Also I would like to know what is the way you
> > configure Maven so that
> > this testSetName parameter is used.
> >
> I'm not positive but this may have to do with this ability:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/single-test.html
>

> > 2/ I am aware of at least 2 bugs related to TestNG
> > opened on Surefire JIRA:
> >
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-58
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-59
> >
> > I am completely puzzled by the first one as I cannot
> > find any
> > reference to
> >  org.testng.internal.annotations.JDK15AnnotationFinder
> > org.apache.maven.surefire.testng.TestNGDirectoryTestSu
> > ite
> >
> > I am currently looking at the code checked out from
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/surefire/trunk
> > (latest revision
> > I have 479603). Am I looking in the wrong place?
> >
> For these two questions I'd say the answer is simple, no one has made the surefire plugin compatible with anything > 5.1 .
>
> I thought I had said before that the current svn repo for surefire was ~not~ the most up to date code for the plugin. Maybe this was overlooked.

No, it was not overlooked but looking at the above bugs I have read
the report like they are using the 2.2 plugin version, and not the
patched one:

[code]
<plugin>
        <version>2.2</version>
</plugin>
[/code]

Am I wrong?

> The code that most people are using - which comes from 2.8-SNAPSHOT on howardlewisship.com - is the latest svn source + these patches:
>
> http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122
>
> If you go off of svn source only and aren't able to test all of the varying environments/etc using the plugins unit test "it" directory you are guaranteed to have a buggy non-working plugin - you really do have to use those patches.

I am a bit confused about the above paragraph. Can you please detail
what you mean? (remember I am not english native speaker :-) ).

> On a somewhat related topic, would there be any real harm in packaging the 1.4/1.5 jre classes all in the same jar file ? I can think of a few benefits to this and only one negative - the jar file would be larger than necessary depending on what you are doing.

No harm, but it is impossible as the two jars are containing a set of
same classes implemented differently according to the JDK under which
they are supposed to work.

Re: Maven2 support code

Phillip Ross-2

<snipped>

> > I thought I had said before that the current svn
> repo for surefire was ~not~ the most up to date code
> for the plugin. Maybe this was overlooked.
> >

> No, it was not overlooked but looking at the above
> bugs I have read
> the report like they are using the 2.2 plugin
> version, and not the
> patched one:
>
> [code]
> <plugin>
>
> artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>         <version>2.2</version>
> >
> [/code]
>
> Am I wrong?

Ahhh . . .Maybe so . In that instance it would be "even more" invalid as the 2.2 version of surefire only works up to version 4.7 of testng as far as I know. Hopefully if the delicate parts of the API are figured out people will be able to just use whatever version of TestNG they want and not have as many issues. (with surefire)

> > The code that most people are using - which comes
> from 2.8-SNAPSHOT on howardlewisship.com - is the
> latest svn source + these patches:
> >
> > http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/TESTNG-122
> >
> > If you go off of svn source only and aren't able to
> test all of the varying environments/etc using the
> plugins unit test "it" directory you are guaranteed
> to have a buggy non-working plugin - you really do
> have to use those patches.
> >

> I am a bit confused about the above paragraph. Can
> you please detail
> what you mean? (remember I am not english native
> speaker :-) ).

Hehe.  I used to have a gf whos father was some sort of ambassador from your country I think. (i live in washington dc)

In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you checked out from subversion there should be a subdirectory of "src/it" containing things like:

test1/
test2/
test3/
etc..

These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I believe. The patches I attached to the TestNG jira issue are tested against these unit tests, so my overall point was that you can verify if what you are doing is "working" if you navigate to each of those sub directories and run "mvn test".

The other point I had was that the patches supplied to the testng jira issue contain bug fixes that the main maven subversion repository doesn't reflect, so whatever you do just make sure that your version of the plugin has those fixes included as well so that when we are ready to send a set of patches in to the maven devs they contain everything we need. (though of course I'll double check to be sure)

> > On a somewhat related topic, would there be any
> real harm in packaging the 1.4/1.5 jre classes all in
> the same jar file ? I can think of a few benefits to
> this and only one negative - the jar file would be
> larger than necessary depending on what you are
> doing.
>
> No harm, but it is impossible as the two jars are
> containing a set of
> same classes implemented differently according to the
> JDK under which
> they are supposed to work.

Damn...I forgot about this.

> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> lipseTestNG Creator

> http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=53
> 827&messageID=108213#108213

Re: Maven2 support code

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [trimmed/]
> In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you checked out from subversion there should be a subdirectory of "src/it" containing things like:
>
> test1/
> test2/
> test3/
> etc..
>
> These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I believe. The patches I attached to the TestNG jira issue are tested against these unit tests, so my overall point was that you can verify if what you are doing is "working" if you navigate to each of those sub directories and run "mvn test".

The maven-surefire-plugin doesn't build on my machine as I already
posted a couple of days ago. Whatever mvn x I am trying to run it
yields a couple of screens of exceptions from which I cannot extract
anything useful (something about an inexistent parent or something).
However if needed I can repost the stacktrace as I can regenerate it
every time :-).

Re: Maven2 support code

Phillip Ross-2

You didn't really expect that this was a trivial task did you? =p You may have to get your hands dirty sometimes.

Most of this is the "dancing" that I eluded to in other emails to this list. There are circular dependencies between maven-surefire-plugin and surefire itself. You'll have to "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true install" the surefire directories first to get a baseline surefire install before trying maven-surefire-plugin. After that you can do the same (minues the -Dmaven.test.skip=true ) on maven-surefire-plugin before plunging into the "src/it" directories. From there on out it should just be a matter of more "mvn install" commands on surefire or testng until you have all of your tests working.

Unless of course you'd like to just find the points where TestNG and maven meet and sync back up with whatever you think is a good forward strategy. (sorry if my words are incoherent, christmas parties have made the letters look a little blurry from where I sit )

There, you have no excuses now. ;)

> On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [trimmed/]
> > In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you
> checked out from subversion there should be a
> subdirectory of "src/it" containing things like:
> >
> > test1/
> > test2/
> > test3/
> > etc..
> >
> > These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I
> believe. The patches I attached to the TestNG jira
> issue are tested against these unit tests, so my
> overall point was that you can verify if what you are
> doing is "working" if you navigate to each of those
> sub directories and run "mvn test".
> >

> The maven-surefire-plugin doesn't build on my machine
> as I already
> posted a couple of days ago. Whatever mvn x I am
> trying to run it
> yields a couple of screens of exceptions from which I
> cannot extract
> anything useful (something about an inexistent parent
> or something).
> However if needed I can repost the stacktrace as I
> can regenerate it
> every time :-).
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> lipseTestNG Creator

Re: Maven2 support code

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You didn't really expect that this was a trivial task did you? =p You may have to get your hands dirty sometimes.

Nooope... as always I was sure that once I get closer to Maven things
will start smelling :-).

> Most of this is the "dancing" that I eluded to in other emails to this list. There are circular dependencies between maven-surefire-plugin and surefire itself. You'll have to "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true install" the surefire directories first to get a baseline surefire install before trying maven-surefire-plugin. After that you can do the same (minues the -Dmaven.test.skip=true ) on maven-surefire-plugin before plunging into the "src/it" directories. From there on out it should just be a matter of more "mvn install" commands on surefire or testng until you have all of your tests working.
>
> Unless of course you'd like to just find the points where TestNG and maven meet and sync back up with whatever you think is a good forward strategy. (sorry if my words are incoherent, christmas parties have made the letters look a little blurry from where I sit )
>
> There, you have no excuses now. ;)
> >
> > On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > [trimmed/]
> > > In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you
> > checked out from subversion there should be a
> > subdirectory of "src/it" containing things like:
> > >
> > > test1/
> > > test2/
> > > test3/
> > > etc..
> > >
> > > These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I
> > believe. The patches I attached to the TestNG jira
> > issue are tested against these unit tests, so my
> > overall point was that you can verify if what you are
> > doing is "working" if you navigate to each of those
> > sub directories and run "mvn test".
> > >

> > The maven-surefire-plugin doesn't build on my machine
> > as I already
> > posted a couple of days ago. Whatever mvn x I am
> > trying to run it
> > yields a couple of screens of exceptions from which I
> > cannot extract
> > anything useful (something about an inexistent parent
> > or something).
> > However if needed I can repost the stacktrace as I
> > can regenerate it
> > every time :-).
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > lipseTestNG Creator

Re: Maven2 support code

Andreas Guther-2
Alex,

Do you still have the compile problems with the missing parent pom?  The parent pom is realtiv to the checked out folder.  This is one of the things I do not like about how the surefire plug-in is build.  You have to hunt for the parent pom in the asf SVN structure and then place it in the right location.

Andreas

On 12/18/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Do you still have the compile problems with the missing parent pom?  The
> parent pom is realtiv to the checked out folder.  This is one of the things
> I do not like about how the surefire plug-in is build.  You have to hunt for
> the parent pom in the asf SVN structure and then place it in the right
> location.

Yes, the problem still exists... so I would appreciate if you can
detail the above.

TIA,

> Andreas
>

> On 12/16/06, Alexandru Popescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email] > wrote:
> > > [trimmed/]
> > > In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you checked out from
> subversion there should be a subdirectory of "src/it" containing things
> like:
> > >
> > > test1/
> > > test2/
> > > test3/
> > > etc..
> > >
> > > These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I believe. The patches
> I attached to the TestNG jira issue are tested against these unit tests, so
> my overall point was that you can verify if what you are doing is "working"
> if you navigate to each of those sub directories and run "mvn test".
> > >

> > The maven-surefire-plugin doesn't build on my machine as I already
> > posted a couple of days ago. Whatever mvn x I am trying to run it
> > yields a couple of screens of exceptions from which I cannot extract
> > anything useful (something about an inexistent parent or something).
> > However if needed I can repost the stacktrace as I can regenerate it
> > every time :-).
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >

>  >

Re: Maven2 support code

Andreas Guther-2
Alex,

Sorry for answering so late.  I am currently bombarded with work and hardly have any time to read my private mail.

The problem with the parent poms is, that they are referenced as files with a relative position which does not reflect how you check out the files.  I finally found the main poms under http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/.  I checked the whole tree out and then copied the file I indicated as the correct parent pom to the position above the surefire checkout folder.

I hope that is sufficient information.  Please let me know if you need more details.

Andreas

On 12/18/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/18/06, Andreas Guther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Do you still have the compile problems with the missing parent pom?  The
> parent pom is realtiv to the checked out folder.  This is one of the things
> I do not like about how the surefire plug-in is build.  You have to hunt for
> the parent pom in the asf SVN structure and then place it in the right
> location.

Yes, the problem still exists... so I would appreciate if you can
detail the above.

TIA,

> Andreas
>

> On 12/16/06, Alexandru Popescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/17/06, Jesse Kuhnert < [hidden email] > wrote:
> > > [trimmed/]
> > > In the maven-surefire-plugin directory that you checked out from
> subversion there should be a subdirectory of "src/it" containing things
> like:
> > >
> > > test1/
> > > test2/
> > > test3/
> > > etc..
> > >
> > > These are the "integration tests" for the plugin I believe. The patches
> I attached to the TestNG jira issue are tested against these unit tests, so
> my overall point was that you can verify if what you are doing is "working"
> if you navigate to each of those sub directories and run "mvn test".
> > >

> > The maven-surefire-plugin doesn't build on my machine as I already
> > posted a couple of days ago. Whatever mvn x I am trying to run it
> > yields a couple of screens of exceptions from which I cannot extract
> > anything useful (something about an inexistent parent or something).
> > However if needed I can repost the stacktrace as I can regenerate it
> > every time :-).
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >

>  >

Re: Maven2 support code

Phillip Ross-2

Ouch, you shouldn't need to go quite ~that~ far. This is probably just the circular dependency sort of thing I hinted at before.

Maybe if Alex stays busy I'll just do the upgrade..(but can't until my new cpu comes in, currently on life support / laptop ...f-@#$ bios update totally screwed me...or I guess since I applied the update I screwed myself but either way someone has definitely been screwed...;) )

> Alex,
>
> Sorry for answering so late.  I am currently
> bombarded with work and hardly
> have any time to read my private mail.
>
> The problem with the parent poms is, that they are
> referenced as files with
> a relative position which does not reflect how you
> check out the files.  I
> finally found the main poms under
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/.  I
> checked the whole tree
> out and then copied the file I indicated as the
> correct parent pom to the
> position above the surefire checkout folder.
>
> I hope that is sufficient information.  Please let me
> know if you need more
> details.
>
> Andreas

Re: Maven2 support code

Alexandru Popescu ☀

There were many changes in the surefire plugin and the above
discussion is not relevant anymore as surefire and the other plugin
code were included in surefire. Brett Porter pointed this out and
after an update everything finally compiled well on my machine.

HTH,

On 1/30/07, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ouch, you shouldn't need to go quite ~that~ far. This is probably just the circular dependency sort of thing I hinted at before.
>
> Maybe if Alex stays busy I'll just do the upgrade..(but can't until my new cpu comes in, currently on life support / laptop ...f-@#$ bios update totally screwed me...or I guess since I applied the update I screwed myself but either way someone has definitely been screwed...;) )
>
> > Alex,
> >
> > Sorry for answering so late.  I am currently
> > bombarded with work and hardly
> > have any time to read my private mail.
> >
> > The problem with the parent poms is, that they are
> > referenced as files with
> > a relative position which does not reflect how you
> > check out the files.  I
> > finally found the main poms under
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/.  I
> > checked the whole tree
> > out and then copied the file I indicated as the
> > correct parent pom to the
> > position above the surefire checkout folder.
> >
> > I hope that is sufficient information.  Please let me
> > know if you need more
> > details.
> >
> > Andreas

Re: Maven2 support code

Jessek

That is good to hear. Now ~I'm~ starting to get shit from people about
maven2 being up to date with the latest TestNG versions. ...So -
between that and my new cpu I'm feeling motivated to help if you run
into anything...