Maven2 forking?

tarun3kumar

I just spent about 10 hours trying to track down why I'm getting OOMEs when invoking my integration tests from maven.  Does anyone happen to know if the surefire plugin forks all TestNG runs, regardless of the <forkMode> option?  I ultimately fixed my problem by adding an <argLine> to increase the heap size, but this wasn't very intuitive and doesn't seem to be documented on the TestNG site anywhere.

If this is indeed the case, I recommend adding a note/gotcha to the TestNG maven 2 documentation. If it's not the case, then I guess I'll have to try to come up with a better fix.

Re: Maven2 forking?

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 12/14/06, Kevin Menard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just spent about 10 hours trying to track down why I'm getting OOMEs when invoking my integration tests from maven.  Does anyone happen to know if the surefire plugin forks all TestNG runs, regardless of the <forkMode> option?  I ultimately fixed my problem by adding an <argLine> to increase the heap size, but this wasn't very intuitive and doesn't seem to be documented on the TestNG site anywhere.
>
> If this is indeed the case, I recommend adding a note/gotcha to the TestNG maven 2 documentation. If it's not the case, then I guess I'll have to try to come up with a better fix.

I am not yet familiar with Surefire code - even if I tried looking
into it, so I cannot address your first question. However, even if
forked or not, if you running many tests I would expect that the
default JVM memory to not be enough.

Re: Maven2 forking?

tarun3kumar

Oh, without a doubt.  I set my MAVEN_OPTS to a much larger memory size, but was still getting OOMEs.  It appears to me that the tests are not being run in the same process and that the new process is not getting the options specified on the command line.  Indeed, I do see an extra java process I wasn't expecting.  So, I'm inclined to believe my assertion is correct and in that case, a note in the docs may be worthwhile.