Maven2 Status?

Mark Derricutt
Alex and all,

I was just wondering what the status of the Maven2 integration was?  I don't think I've seen any further mention of this other than you've started looking at the problem yourself?

I had the thought the other day that maybe a "solution" would be that if problems with Surefire getting in the way too much, maybe an interim "fix" would be to write our own Maven MOJO that runs TestNG in a nice manner.

It may not fit 'perfectly' with Maven but it would at least be a pure maven solution..

Mark

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

http://www.talios.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios

Re: Maven2 Status?

Andreas Guther-2
Mark,

Such a MOJO would need to be able to create the reports in a way that surefire provides that.  I would not want to do that.  I guess it is much more effective to contribute to the surefire project and make sure they get the TestNG part right.

Andreas

On 1/19/07, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex and all,

I was just wondering what the status of the Maven2 integration was?  I don't think I've seen any further mention of this other than you've started looking at the problem yourself?

I had the thought the other day that maybe a "solution" would be that if problems with Surefire getting in the way too much, maybe an interim "fix" would be to write our own Maven MOJO that runs TestNG in a nice manner.

It may not fit 'perfectly' with Maven but it would at least be a pure maven solution..

Mark

--
It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke me.

Re: Maven2 Status?

Hey Mark!

Things haven't really advanced in this direction. Only a couple of
days ago I have finally got surefire compiling correctly on my
machine, so I will probably be able to re-start looking into it.

At the first glance, it looks like there are pieces in the Maven
surefire plugin that are using internal TestNG API just to emulate the
behavior of running JUnit tests. Unfortunately, considering that the
terms are not exactly corresponding (test in JUnit is a method, test
in TestNG is a set of classes, or a group, or etc.) this required the
Maven guys to use the internal API. Frankly speaking I am not sure
what is the best solution, so I guess it will take a bit before I will
be able to say that things are looking better (moreover at the end of
next week I will finally have a vacation - which I intend to enjoy
completely disconnected this time ;-) ).

On 1/19/07, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex and all,
>
> I was just wondering what the status of the Maven2 integration was?  I don't
> think I've seen any further mention of this other than you've started
> looking at the problem yourself?
>
> I had the thought the other day that maybe a "solution" would be that if
> problems with Surefire getting in the way too much, maybe an interim "fix"
> would be to write our own Maven MOJO that runs TestNG in a nice manner.
>
> It may not fit 'perfectly' with Maven but it would at least be a pure maven
> solution..
>
> Mark
>
> --
> It was not the presence of God that formed me, but his absence which broke
> me.
>
> http://www.talios.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/talios
>  >

Re: Maven2 Status?

Thomas Knowlton

Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> Things haven't really advanced in this direction. Only a couple of
> days ago I have finally got surefire compiling correctly on my
> machine, so I will probably be able to re-start looking into it.

I have just tonight got surefire compiling locally, I'm barely
beginning to take a look at why surefire fails to call the @BeforeXXX
and @AfterXXX when using TestNG groups configured in the POM.
At this point, I've just barely got to the point of being able to
breakpoint the surefire plugin, so I'm going to step through and try to
see where things go awry.

Are there any other particular failures that I should look at (besides
the @Before/@After failure)? Please try to be specific how I can
reproduce the failure, and I'll try to help.

> At the first glance, it looks like there are pieces in the Maven
> surefire plugin that are using internal TestNG API just to emulate the
> behavior of running JUnit tests. Unfortunately, considering that the
> terms are not exactly corresponding (test in JUnit is a method, test
> in TestNG is a set of classes, or a group, or etc.) this required the
> Maven guys to use the internal API. Frankly speaking I am not sure
> what is the best solution, so I guess it will take a bit before I will
> be able to say that things are looking better (moreover at the end of
> next week I will finally have a vacation - which I intend to enjoy
> completely disconnected this time ;-) ).

Hopefully, I'll have something more interesting to report by the time
Alex gets back.

--
Tommy

Re: Maven2 Status?

Thomas Knowlton

OK, so I'm a total idiot: I bumped into this some time ago, and had
since forgotten. TestNG @BeforeXXX and @AfterXXX annotations are not
"groupless", i.e., if you are selecting @Test methods by group, the
@BeforeXXX and @AfterXXX methods need to have the same groups if you
want them to run. It took me an hour long debugging session, stepping
through surefire code to figure this out. TestNG appears to be working
as advertised, in this case.

Bah!

I'll be watching this thread to see what other failures I might help
diagnose/remedy.