IntelliJ IDEA project files

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Hi guys!

I have committed in the SVN the IntelliJ IDEA project files. Please
let me know if they are correct enough - and keep in mind I am just a
newbie when speaking about Idea.

BR,

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Cédric Beust ♔
Alex,

Shouldn't these files be put in an IDEA directory instead of at the root?  Otherwise, people who modify them might check in their own files, and mess everybody else...

On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Shouldn't these files be put in an IDEA directory instead of at the root?
> Otherwise, people who modify them might check in their own files, and mess
> everybody else...

Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
conf files, and those are placed in the root.

> Cedric
>

>  On 12/12/06, Alexandru Popescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I have committed in the SVN the IntelliJ IDEA project files. Please
> > let me know if they are correct enough - and keep in mind I am just a
> > newbie when speaking about Idea.
> >
> > BR,
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator

>  >

Re: Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

isterin
I don't know if this is a great idea period.  Every time someone opens
IDEA based on those files, it changes, though you'd get a bunch of
commits, unless you ignore it.

The better idea is to use something like maven's idea plugin, though
not sure if something like that exists for ant.  That way, everyone
can generate their own artifacts.

Ilya

On 12/12/06, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Alex,
> >
> > Shouldn't these files be put in an IDEA directory instead of at the root?
> > Otherwise, people who modify them might check in their own files, and mess
> > everybody else...
> >

> Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
> conf files, and those are placed in the root.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>
> > --
> > Cedric
> >

> >  On 12/12/06, Alexandru Popescu
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi guys!
> > >
> > > I have committed in the SVN the IntelliJ IDEA project files. Please
> > > let me know if they are correct enough - and keep in mind I am just a
> > > newbie when speaking about Idea.
> > >
> > > BR,
> > >
> > > ./alex
> > > --
> > > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > >   TestNG co-founder
> > > EclipseTestNG Creator
> > >

> > --
> > Cédric
> >  >

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Cedric-20

Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
> conf files, and those are placed in the root.

Yes, and that's a bad idea too :-)

For example, I often change the .classpath depending on whether I'm
working on the JDK14 or JDK5 implementation, and if I don't pay
attention, I end up committing my JDK14 .classpath.

I think we should move these files in an eclipse/ directory and remove
the current .classpath/.project from SVN.

On 12/13/06, Cedric Beust <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
> > conf files, and those are placed in the root.
>
> Yes, and that's a bad idea too :-)
>
> For example, I often change the .classpath depending on whether I'm
> working on the JDK14 or JDK5 implementation, and if I don't pay
> attention, I end up committing my JDK14 .classpath.

Yes, sure... if only you would have followed the suggestions I have
provided like 2 years ago :-).

> I think we should move these files in an eclipse/ directory and remove
> the current .classpath/.project from SVN.

We still can do it... so just give your vote. Mine is -1.

I didn't know Idea is touching these files everytime the project is
opened, so in this case I will probably move them. Somehow, I like the
generating stuff, but frankly speaking I don't think I want to
maintain maven poms just for this.

> Cedric

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Daniel Dyer

Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Cedric Beust <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > > On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
> > > conf files, and those are placed in the root.
> >
> > Yes, and that's a bad idea too :-)
> >
> > For example, I often change the .classpath depending on whether I'm
> > working on the JDK14 or JDK5 implementation, and if I don't pay
> > attention, I end up committing my JDK14 .classpath.
> >

> Yes, sure... if only you would have followed the suggestions I have
> provided like 2 years ago :-).
>
> > I think we should move these files in an eclipse/ directory and remove
> > the current .classpath/.project from SVN.
> >

> We still can do it... so just give your vote. Mine is -1.
>
> I didn't know Idea is touching these files everytime the project is
> opened, so in this case I will probably move them. Somehow, I like the
> generating stuff, but frankly speaking I don't think I want to
> maintain maven poms just for this.

Where I work we have a mixture of IDEA and Eclipse users.  We don't
allow either to check in their IDE configuration files (we set up
svn:ignore patterns to prevent this from happening inadvertently).
This way everybody can have whatever configuration they like without
affecting each other.  The Ant build.xml is the definitive project
configuration that is checked-in and shared by everybody, everything
else is personal preference.

If you do want to have IDEA configuration files checked-in, you
probably only want to include the *.ipr (project config) and *.iml
(module config) files, since these only change when somebody
reconfigures the project.  The *.iws file for the project is the
workspace, this is what changes all the time, so probably should be
excluded.

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Hani Suleiman

I've deleted the .iws file, that file is per user settings, and
should not be checked in. Beyond that, the files should be changed.
I've maintained idea files for a bunch of projects so if there are
any issues with these I'll check in fixed versions.

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Cedric Beust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
>>> On 12/13/06, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what to answer... it is the same as for the Eclipse project
>>> conf files, and those are placed in the root.
>>
>> Yes, and that's a bad idea too :-)
>>
>> For example, I often change the .classpath depending on whether I'm
>> working on the JDK14 or JDK5 implementation, and if I don't pay
>> attention, I end up committing my JDK14 .classpath.
>>

> Yes, sure... if only you would have followed the suggestions I have
> provided like 2 years ago :-).
>
>> I think we should move these files in an eclipse/ directory and
>> remove
>> the current .classpath/.project from SVN.
>>

> We still can do it... so just give your vote. Mine is -1.
>
> I didn't know Idea is touching these files everytime the project is
> opened, so in this case I will probably move them. Somehow, I like the
> generating stuff, but frankly speaking I don't think I want to
> maintain maven poms just for this.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator
>
>> --
>> Cedric

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Thanks Hani and Daniel. I agree with you that Ant build.xml should be
the project configuration, but I really hate when I am checking out a
project the fact that I need to understand the build.xml in order to
load it in my IDE, so I find very usefull to have these settings
available.

In Eclipse case there are a couple of more important aspects: the
project is autoconfigured when checked out from within Eclipse.

I frankly don't see any problem leaving this conf files were they are
right now (in fact I think they will make life easier for people
checking out the project from SVN). But as always I am opened to hear
suggestions, opinions, ideas.

On 12/13/06, Hani Suleiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've deleted the .iws file, that file is per user settings, and
> should not be checked in. Beyond that, the files should be changed.
> I've maintained idea files for a bunch of projects so if there are
> any issues with these I'll check in fixed versions.

I n this case I think we must add the *.iws to svn:ignore too.

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> >> Yes, and that's a bad idea too :-)
> >>
> >> For example, I often change the .classpath depending on whether I'm
> >> working on the JDK14 or JDK5 implementation, and if I don't pay
> >> attention, I end up committing my JDK14 .classpath.
> >>

> > Yes, sure... if only you would have followed the suggestions I have
> > provided like 2 years ago :-).
> >
> >> I think we should move these files in an eclipse/ directory and
> >> remove
> >> the current .classpath/.project from SVN.
> >>

> > We still can do it... so just give your vote. Mine is -1.
> >
> > I didn't know Idea is touching these files everytime the project is
> > opened, so in this case I will probably move them. Somehow, I like the
> > generating stuff, but frankly speaking I don't think I want to
> > maintain maven poms just for this.
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >
> >> --
> >> Cedric

Re: IntelliJ IDEA project files

Hani Suleiman

Big +1 to having idea files checked in (and eclipse ones).

I don't see any downside, really. I don't see how moving them to a
subdir achieves anything either.