Quantcast

I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Tim Simpson-2
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of TestNG who recently entered the fun-filled world of
Python.  But there were TestNG features I couldn't live without -
namely dependent test ordering - so I wrote an extension for Nose to
enable this behavior.

My project changes how tests are found so they use decorators which
very much resemble TestNG's annotations.  Currently these apply at the
class level only, but I'd like to one day add a runner which would
allow method level annotations as well.  It also has groups, and (to
some extent) groups of groups.

My work at Rackspace was recently open sourced.  I'd seen tweets from
some TestNG users who were looking for an equivalent of TestNG in
Python that reminded me of the feelings I'd had originally so I asked
if I could make this project into its own repo on GitHub.  Calling my
project "TestNG in Python" would be a disservice to TestNG- recreating
it was not my assignment so I only implemented features I felt where
absolutely necessary for the tests we were writing.  It also extends
Nose / unittest instead of writing something entirely fresh.  But I'm
very convinced this could be useful not just to people in my situation
but Pythonistas who've never heard of TestNG and don't know what
they're missing. I am eager to see what the TestNG community thinks of
it.

Code:
https://github.com/rackspace/python-proboscis

Docs:
http://www.python-proboscis.com.php5-21.websitetestlink.com/

Tim

Re: I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Cédric Beust ♔-2
Hi Tim,

Nice work! I'll be happy to point people asking for TestNG functionalities in Python to Proboscis, and I will actually add a link to it in the Misc section of the TestNG doc.

Should I link to both the doc and the github project?

Also, if I may suggest something: add a little more documentation to the github README. It doesn't have to duplicate your entire doc web site but maybe a few paragraphs more and some code samples would help a lot (people who view github pages love to see code samples :-)).

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Tim Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the comments Cedric!  I went ahead and added a brief
example to the README.

Please just link to the GitHub project. I've modified its index page
to contain a link to the docs.

Tim

On May 9, 12:12 pm, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Nice work! I'll be happy to point people asking for TestNG functionalities
> in Python to Proboscis, and I will actually add a link to it in the Misc
> section of the TestNG doc.
>
> Should I link to both the doc and the github project?
>
> Also, if I may suggest something: add a little more documentation to the
> github README. It doesn't have to duplicate your entire doc web site but
> maybe a few paragraphs more and some code samples would help a lot (people
> who view github pages love to see code samples :-)).

> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Tim Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I'm a big fan of TestNG who recently entered the fun-filled world of
> > Python.  But there were TestNG features I couldn't live without -
> > namely dependent test ordering - so I wrote an extension for Nose to
> > enable this behavior.
>
> > My project changes how tests are found so they use decorators which
> > very much resemble TestNG's annotations.  Currently these apply at the
> > class level only, but I'd like to one day add a runner which would
> > allow method level annotations as well.  It also has groups, and (to
> > some extent) groups of groups.
>
> > My work at Rackspace was recently open sourced.  I'd seen tweets from
> > some TestNG users who were looking for an equivalent of TestNG in
> > Python that reminded me of the feelings I'd had originally so I asked
> > if I could make this project into its own repo on GitHub.  Calling my
> > project "TestNG in Python" would be a disservice to TestNG- recreating
> > it was not my assignment so I only implemented features I felt where
> > absolutely necessary for the tests we were writing.  It also extends
> > Nose / unittest instead of writing something entirely fresh.  But I'm
> > very convinced this could be useful not just to people in my situation
> > but Pythonistas who've never heard of TestNG and don't know what
> > they're missing. I am eager to see what the TestNG community thinks of
> > it.
>
> > Code:
> >https://github.com/rackspace/python-proboscis
>
> > Docs:
> >http://www.python-proboscis.com.php5-21.websitetestlink.com/
>
> > Tim

Re: I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Scal
Good to know and nice job Tim!

Re: Re: I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Done:

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tim Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the comments Cedric!  I went ahead and added a brief
example to the README.

Please just link to the GitHub project. I've modified its index page
to contain a link to the docs.

Tim

On May 9, 12:12 pm, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Nice work! I'll be happy to point people asking for TestNG functionalities
> in Python to Proboscis, and I will actually add a link to it in the Misc
> section of the TestNG doc.
>
> Should I link to both the doc and the github project?
>
> Also, if I may suggest something: add a little more documentation to the
> github README. It doesn't have to duplicate your entire doc web site but
> maybe a few paragraphs more and some code samples would help a lot (people
> who view github pages love to see code samples :-)).

> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Tim Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > I'm a big fan of TestNG who recently entered the fun-filled world of
> > Python.  But there were TestNG features I couldn't live without -
> > namely dependent test ordering - so I wrote an extension for Nose to
> > enable this behavior.
>
> > My project changes how tests are found so they use decorators which
> > very much resemble TestNG's annotations.  Currently these apply at the
> > class level only, but I'd like to one day add a runner which would
> > allow method level annotations as well.  It also has groups, and (to
> > some extent) groups of groups.
>
> > My work at Rackspace was recently open sourced.  I'd seen tweets from
> > some TestNG users who were looking for an equivalent of TestNG in
> > Python that reminded me of the feelings I'd had originally so I asked
> > if I could make this project into its own repo on GitHub.  Calling my
> > project "TestNG in Python" would be a disservice to TestNG- recreating
> > it was not my assignment so I only implemented features I felt where
> > absolutely necessary for the tests we were writing.  It also extends
> > Nose / unittest instead of writing something entirely fresh.  But I'm
> > very convinced this could be useful not just to people in my situation
> > but Pythonistas who've never heard of TestNG and don't know what
> > they're missing. I am eager to see what the TestNG community thinks of
> > it.
>
> > Code:
> >https://github.com/rackspace/python-proboscis
>
> > Docs:
> >http://www.python-proboscis.com.php5-21.websitetestlink.com/
>
> > Tim

Re: I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Tim Simpson-2
Awesome!  Thanks.

On May 12, 3:57 pm, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done:
>
> http://testng.org/doc/misc.html

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tim Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for the comments Cedric!  I went ahead and added a brief
> > example to the README.
>
> > Please just link to the GitHub project. I've modified its index page
> > to contain a link to the docs.
>
> > Tim
>
> > On May 9, 12:12 pm, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Tim,
>
> > > Nice work! I'll be happy to point people asking for TestNG
> > functionalities
> > > in Python to Proboscis, and I will actually add a link to it in the Misc
> > > section of the TestNG doc.
>
> > > Should I link to both the doc and the github project?
>
> > > Also, if I may suggest something: add a little more documentation to the
> > > github README. It doesn't have to duplicate your entire doc web site but
> > > maybe a few paragraphs more and some code samples would help a lot
> > (people
> > > who view github pages love to see code samples :-)).
>
> > > --
> > > Cédric

Re: I've implemented some TestNG-like functionality in Python

Ashish Sharma
Hi Tim,

I recently starting working on TestNG with Java. But previously I was using Python for different project. Hence searched for "testng for python" and landed up this discussion page and testng misc page. But the link to reackspace (https://github.com/rackspace/python-proboscis ) doesn't seems to be working, which both the pages provide.

Can you please share the correct link?

Thanks,
Ashish

On Sunday, 8 May 2011 21:12:50 UTC+5:30, Tim Simpson wrote:
[...]

Neeraj Sharma
Thanks Tim.
This seems very close match to what I was looking for. I'm trying out the sample code. I couldn't find more details wrt to reporting. Is there any OOB reporting module equivalent to TestNG. Is it possible to write some kind of listeners similar to TestNG.
On the other note, is it possible to create some kind of test suite that we can run.

Thanks again for your work and help.
-Neeraj