How to create custom testng.xml and call it from maven?

How to create custom testng.xml and call it from maven?

shivanshu sharma
Hi Guys,
Basically i am trying to create an webdriver framework that is with low maintained that i can handle everything from my xlsx file. And i figured that to run tests on multibrowser i need to repeat my code in testng for each browser.i.e.
<test name="Login run on IE" preserve-order="true">
  <parameter name="browser" value="ie"></parameter>
  <parameter name="baseURL" value="http://www.example.com/users/login"></parameter>
    <classes>
      <class name="test.LoginPageTest">
           </class>
  <test name="Login run on firefox" preserve-order="true">
  <parameter name="browser" value="firefox"></parameter>
  <parameter name="baseURL" value="http://www.example.com/users/login"></parameter>
    <classes>
      <class name="test.LoginPageTest">
           </class>
  <test name="Login run on Chrome" preserve-order="true">
  <parameter name="browser" value="chrome"></parameter>
  <parameter name="baseURL" value="http://www.example.com/users/login"></parameter>
    <classes>
      <class name="test.LoginPageTest">
           </class>

to avoid this i am thinking to pass "All" as a parameter from xlsx and drive this code through java.I haven't tried yet how to create custom testng.xml ...please share detailed link.
Second problem i am facing how to call this class containing main method in Maven?

Re: How to create custom testng.xml and call it from maven?

Krishnan Mahadevan
You don't need to do all that. You merely need to build an implementation for IAlterSuiteListener wherein you are basically creating multiple <test> tags in your suite xml on the fly based on various parameters (You can define a suite level parameter which tells what are all the browsers that need to be executed for as comma separated values, parse it in this listener and then construct <test> tags via your listener)

For a sample refer to this thread wherein I have posted a full fledged implementation which uses the IAlterSuiteListener implementation to achieve somewhat a similar ask.