Help with TestNG/Eclipse setup

IntelliData
Hi,

I am new to TestNG/Eclipse. and i would like some help with the setup:

1.       When I run certain tests,  I get a NullPointerException, seemingly for no reason.

1.       2.  The GUI doesn’t always show the test results, even if it passed; the console does show the results.

2.      3.  Is it possible to use TestNG/Eclipse without bothering with the Testngt.xml f1le?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Help with TestNG/Eclipse setup

Krishnan Mahadevan
For the null pointer exception, can you please show us the complete stacktrace ?

Yes it is possible running TestNG tests without the testng.xml file. You would have to resort to right clicking each and every individual test class and choose run as > TestNG test.
Also please make sure that you are using the latest version of the TestNG eclipse plugin.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM, IntelliData <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am new to TestNG/Eclipse. and i would like some help with the setup:

1.       When I run certain tests,  I get a NullPointerException, seemingly for no reason.

1.       2.  The GUI doesn’t always show the test results, even if it passed; the console does show the results.

2.      3.  Is it possible to use TestNG/Eclipse without bothering with the Testngt.xml f1le?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

AW: [testng-users] Help with TestNG/Eclipse setup

Hubert Grzeskowiak

Hi,

1.       We need to see the stacktrace to help here. A null pointer exception can occur everywhere.

2.       Make sure you have latest versions of Eclipse and TestNG installed. If you still have this bug afterwards, please consider uploading screenshots and/or code.

3.       Right-click context menu shows up „Run as TestNG Test“ or “Run as TestNG Suite” respectively if you do it in the project explorer. In the Editor, you can still at least do the former given you have a test class open.

Another way is using the “Run configurations“ which you can access using the drop-down arrow aside from the green play button in the toolbar. There you can select TestNG and define a suite, class or method to run. There you can also define parameters that are given your tests if you’re using the @Parameters annotation. The entries you do there stay so that you can execute the same tests later on with only one or two clicks. Also if you use right-click context menu the recently run things show up there too.

Good luck
Hubert Grzeskowiak