Binding data from external data sources

Matthias Rothe
Hi all,

as this post got deleted somehow when I first posted it, here it is again:

All software operates on data. High quality software needs to be thoroughly tested. This mandates to take the data into account and creates a need for easy and powerful solutions for data driven unit, functional and integration tests. Data driven tests are tests in which the test logic stays the same and the test data changes with each invocation of the test logic. With its data providers TestNG provides a very useful way of creating data driven tests. However TestNG is lacking a standard way to easily load and bind data from external data sources.

In real-life projects loading test data from different external data sources is however quite often a requirement. There are technical as well as organizational reasons for this. On the technical side it's just far more natural to store data in data files or data bases, as they are designed to hold data. Java code is not. On the organizational side storing data in external files opens up the opportunity to have some folks adept at Java implement the test logic, while other people can define, enter and edit the data used in the tests.

Lately I've released a framework targeting that need of being able to load and bind test data from external data sources to TestNG test method parameters. This framework is called TestNG Data Binding and available at http://sf.net/projects/testngdatabind. It's based on the data provider mechanism and uses a number of other TestNG features to provide a seamless interface for binding data from various sources. The source formats currently supported are CSV, Properties, Text and XML files. As this framework is plug-in based it's very easy to add support for other data sources. All that's needed is to implement another plug-in.

To get started with TestNG Data Binding, please refer to the JavaDocs at http://testngdatabind.sf.net/apidocs. This is currently the only documentation available, but lots more is on the way. I'll keep you updated as and when it becomes available. If anyone wants to participate in making more documentation available, please get in contact.

Please note that you can use this framework in Ant like projects, just as well as in Maven projects. Please find the Maven coordinates at http://sourceforge.net/p/testngdatabind/wiki/Maven%20Coordinates/.

I hope you find TestNG Data Binding to be useful and can start using it. If you've got any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Re: Binding data from external data sources

Matthias Rothe
Hi Prashant,

thanks for your interest in TestNG Data Binding. As I've already mentioned the JavaDocs is currently all the documentation there is, but I'm working hard on making more available. So please stay tuned - your patience will be rewarded. In the meantime, please follow the samples given in the JavaDocs. Right on the overview page there's a first example. Please also have a look at the documentation of the GenericDataProvider class and the various data source classes. These also come with useful examples. I hope this gets you started.

Kindly,
Matt

On Friday, May 3, 2013 6:57:36 AM UTC+2, Prashant wrote:
[...]

sunny sachdeva
Matt,

To me also this sounds interesting. I guess it would be a worth to try for.

have started reading docs and lets see how it goes ON.

Thanks
Sunny

On Friday, May 3, 2013 12:42:46 AM UTC-7, Matthias Rothe wrote:
[...]

I just created a little screencast showing a simple example of how to use TestNG Data Binding. Please find it at http://screenr.com/ut97. Enjoy watching and tell me if you've got any questions.

Kindly,
Matt

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:05:35 PM UTC+2, Matthias Rothe wrote:
[...]

Is it possible for you to show a small example, of how are you picking up the data in your framework, may be you can just display the data from csv.

Thanks

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:05:35 AM UTC-7, Matthias Rothe wrote:
[...]

Hi Sunny,

I assume you already watched the screencast. If so, I don't really understand your question. The data from the CSV files is displayed in the screencast. To actually load the data, the framework uses a special implementation of the DataProvider functionality of TestNG. If you haven't watched the screencast yet, please do so as it should help you to understand the framework better.

I hope this helps and if not I kindly ask you to tell more precisely what you'd like to be better explained.

Kind regards,
Matt

On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:19:01 PM UTC+2, sunny sachdeva wrote:
[...]

I just uploaded some slides presenting the TestNG Data Binding framework at SlideShare. So, go and check them out & let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Re: Binding data from external data sources

chandrashekar raju
Hi Mattias,

Can you please share a sample source code of the databinding example

Regards,
chandra

On Thursday, 27 June 2013 21:52:48 UTC+5:30, Matthias Rothe wrote:
Hi all,

I just uploaded some <a href="http://t.co/maLUfrQE1g" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FmaLUfrQE1g\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGWekQxz7WLDXitLEe8NqGtxz_9lg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FmaLUfrQE1g\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGWekQxz7WLDXitLEe8NqGtxz_9lg';return true;">slides presenting the TestNG Data Binding framework at SlideShare. So, go and check them out & let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Re: Binding data from external data sources

Matthias Rothe-2
Hi Chandra,

please have a look at http://testngdatabind.sourceforge.net/apidocs/ for the complete documentation. The class documentation for the data source implementations always contains sample code. Thanks.

If you've got any more specific questions, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Regards,
Matthias

Hi Mattias,

Can you please share a sample source code of the databinding example

Regards,
chandra

On Thursday, 27 June 2013 21:52:48 UTC+5:30, Matthias Rothe wrote:
Hi all,

I just uploaded some slides presenting the TestNG Data Binding framework at SlideShare. So, go and check them out & let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Re: Binding data from external data sources

Alex Golovko
Hello, how about java 8 support ?

четверг, 2 мая 2013 г., 18:05:35 UTC+3 пользователь Matthias Rothe написал:
[...]

Lately I've released a framework targeting that need of being able to load and bind test data from external data sources to TestNG test method parameters. This framework is called TestNG Data Binding and available at <a href="http://sf.net/projects/testngdatabind" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsf.net%2Fprojects%2Ftestngdatabind\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF1FKawfCfamUnuuw7qVVO6YK0KKg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsf.net%2Fprojects%2Ftestngdatabind\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF1FKawfCfamUnuuw7qVVO6YK0KKg&#39;;return true;">http://sf.net/projects/testngdatabind. It's based on the data provider mechanism and uses a number of other TestNG features to provide a seamless interface for binding data from various sources. The source formats currently supported are CSV, Properties, Text and XML files. As this framework is plug-in based it's very easy to add support for other data sources. All that's needed is to implement another plug-in.

To get started with TestNG Data Binding, please refer to the JavaDocs at <a href="http://testngdatabind.sf.net/apidocs" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftestngdatabind.sf.net%2Fapidocs\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE8oqXqbpzBpuVtnRJklqBoPreUqg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftestngdatabind.sf.net%2Fapidocs\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE8oqXqbpzBpuVtnRJklqBoPreUqg&#39;;return true;">http://testngdatabind.sf.net/apidocs. This is currently the only documentation available, but lots more is on the way. I'll keep you updated as and when it becomes available. If anyone wants to participate in making more documentation available, please get in contact.

Please note that you can use this framework in Ant like projects, just as well as in Maven projects. Please find the Maven coordinates at <a href="http://sourceforge.net/p/testngdatabind/wiki/Maven%20Coordinates/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fp%2Ftestngdatabind%2Fwiki%2FMaven%2520Coordinates%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFsY13xuhLgI1zQxG1eD9D1rDGNmQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fp%2Ftestngdatabind%2Fwiki%2FMaven%2520Coordinates%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFsY13xuhLgI1zQxG1eD9D1rDGNmQ&#39;;return true;">http://sourceforge.net/p/testngdatabind/wiki/Maven%20Coordinates/.

I hope you find TestNG Data Binding to be useful and can start using it. If you've got any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Re: Binding data from external data sources

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Alex,

Maybe you can take a look at Sergey Korol’s https://github.com/sskorol/test-data-supplier Since it supports streams, you should be able to easily bind it with an external data source.

You can also take a look at SeLion’s data provider module, which specifically targets external data sources

http://paypal.github.io/SeLion/html/documentation.html#selion-data-provider

https://github.com/paypal/SeLion/tree/develop/dataproviders

Re: Binding data from external data sources

Alex Golovko
Hi Krishnan,
Thanks a lot!

пятница, 1 декабря 2017 г., 4:03:15 UTC+2 пользователь Krishnan Mahadevan написал:

Alex,

Maybe you can take a look at Sergey Korol’s <a href="https://github.com/sskorol/test-data-supplier" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsskorol%2Ftest-data-supplier\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFMFTXDxFH9I-QcszGonwGCg30lxw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsskorol%2Ftest-data-supplier\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFMFTXDxFH9I-QcszGonwGCg30lxw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/sskorol/test-data-supplier Since it supports streams, you should be able to easily bind it with an external data source.

You can also take a look at SeLion’s data provider module, which specifically targets external data sources

My Scribblings @ <a href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

My Technical Scribbings @ <a href="http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;">http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/

From: <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="IkyzjAiEAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">testng...@...> on behalf of Alex Golovko <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="IkyzjAiEAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">alex.g...@...>