@BeforeMethod failure should prevent @AfterTest?

cytoe
Should a failure in a beforeMethod prevent an afterTest from running?  I'd think afterTest should still run.  here's my sample program:

import org.testng.annotations.AfterMethod;
import org.testng.annotations.AfterTest;
import org.testng.annotations.BeforeMethod;
import org.testng.annotations.BeforeTest;
import org.testng.annotations.Test;

public class MyTestngTest {
    @BeforeTest()
    public void beforeTest() throws Exception {
        System.out.println("in beforeTest");
    }

    @BeforeMethod()
    public void beforeMethod() throws Exception {
        System.out.println("in beforeMethod");
        throw new Exception("fail me");
    }

    @Test()
    public void test() {
        System.out.println("in test");
    }

    @AfterMethod()
    public void afterMethod() {
        System.out.println("in afterMethod");
    }

    @AfterTest()
    public void afterTest() {
        System.out.println("in afterTest");

...and output:

in beforeTest
in beforeMethod
FAILED CONFIGURATION: @BeforeMethod beforeMethod
java.lang.Exception: fail me
        at com.hp.msl.csi.ruiti.tests.MyTestngTest.beforeMethod(MyTestngTest.java:35)
... Removed 23 stack frames
SKIPPED CONFIGURATION: @AfterMethod afterMethod
SKIPPED CONFIGURATION: @AfterTest afterTest
SKIPPED: test

Re: @BeforeMethod failure should prevent @AfterTest?

Alexandru Popescu ☀
On 4/18/07, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree:  a @BeforeMethod should not cause an @AfterTest to be skipped (only
> an @AfterMethod).
>
> We'll look into it.

The rule is that everything after a failure will be skipped. And this
was the reason for adding alwaysRun for after methods: so that you can
say what @Afters you want always to be run even if something else
failed.

On 4/18/07, Alexandru Popescu ☀ <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/18/07, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree:  a @BeforeMethod should not cause an @AfterTest to be skipped (only
> an @AfterMethod).
>
> We'll look into it.

The rule is that everything after a failure will be skipped. And this
was the reason for adding alwaysRun for after methods: so that you can
say what @Afters you want always to be run even if something else
failed.

My bad, forgot about that :-)

Re: @BeforeMethod failure should prevent @AfterTest?

cytoe
hmm. seems this behavior is limiting. Marking a config method to always run will require additional logic inside to effectively disable it if should not run. Say I have a beforeSuite, beforeTest,  beforeMethod...and an afterSuite, afterTest, and afterMethod.  If beforeSuite fails and I have afterSuite to always run, I need to add logic in afterSuite to make sure it does the right thing.

Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote
On 4/18/07, Cédric Beust ♔ <cbeust@google.com> wrote:
> I agree:  a @BeforeMethod should not cause an @AfterTest to be skipped (only
> an @AfterMethod).
>
> We'll look into it.

The rule is that everything after a failure will be skipped. And this
was the reason for adding alwaysRun for after methods: so that you can
say what @Afters you want always to be run even if something else
failed.

> On 4/18/07, cytoe <cytoe@msn.com> wrote:
> >

> > Should a failure in a beforeMethod prevent an afterTest from running?  I'd
> > think afterTest should still run.  here's my sample program:
> >
> > import org.testng.annotations.AfterMethod;
> > import org.testng.annotations.AfterTest ;
> > import org.testng.annotations.BeforeMethod;
> > import org.testng.annotations.BeforeTest;
> > import org.testng.annotations.Test;
> >
> > public class MyTestngTest {
> >     @BeforeTest()
> >     public void beforeTest() throws Exception {
> >         System.out.println("in beforeTest");
> >     }
> >
> >     @BeforeMethod()
> >     public void beforeMethod() throws Exception {
> >         System.out.println("in beforeMethod");
> >         throw new Exception("fail me");
> >     }
> >
> >     @Test()
> >     public void test() {
> >         System.out.println("in test");
> >     }
> >
> >     @AfterMethod()
> >     public void afterMethod() {
> >         System.out.println("in afterMethod");
> >     }
> >
> >     @AfterTest()
> >     public void afterTest() {
> >         System.out.println("in afterTest");
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > ...and output:
> >
> > in beforeTest
> > in beforeMethod
> > FAILED CONFIGURATION: @BeforeMethod beforeMethod
> > java.lang.Exception: fail me
> >         at
> >
> com.hp.msl.csi.ruiti.tests.MyTestngTest.beforeMethod(MyTestngTest.java:35)
> > ... Removed 23 stack frames
> > SKIPPED CONFIGURATION: @AfterMethod afterMethod
> > SKIPPED CONFIGURATION: @AfterTest afterTest
> > SKIPPED: test
> >

>  >

Re: @BeforeMethod failure should prevent @AfterTest?

Alexandru Popescu ☀
On 4/18/07, cytoe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hmm. seems this behavior is limiting. Marking a config method to always run
> will require additional logic inside to effectively disable it if should not
> run. Say I have a beforeSuite, beforeTest,  beforeMethod...and an
> afterSuite, afterTest, and afterMethod.  If beforeSuite fails and I have
> afterSuite to always run, I need to add logic in afterSuite to make sure it
> does the right thing.

Ahhh... you lost me: because you were requesting exactly this feature
:-), and now you are saying it is limitting.

> Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:
> >
> > On 4/18/07, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I agree:  a @BeforeMethod should not cause an @AfterTest to be skipped
> >> (only
> >> an @AfterMethod).
> >>
> >> We'll look into it.
> >>

> > The rule is that everything after a failure will be skipped. And this
> > was the reason for adding alwaysRun for after methods: so that you can
> > say what @Afters you want always to be run even if something else
> > failed.
> >
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> >   TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
> >
> >> --
> >> Cédric

> >> I'd

> >> com.hp.msl.csi.ruiti.tests.MyTestngTest.beforeMethod(MyTestngTest.java:35)
> >> >

> >>  >

Re: @BeforeMethod failure should prevent @AfterTest?

cytoe
lol. sorry.  Let me clarify.  the alwaysRun feature is a great addition, but not enough by itself.  Relying on alwaysRun to handle what could be this expected logic opens the possibility of trying to teardown something that was never setup.

Mahalo,
Ron
Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote

On 4/19/07, cytoe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lol. sorry.  Let me clarify.  the alwaysRun feature is a great addition, but
> not enough by itself.  Relying on alwaysRun to handle what could be this
> expected logic opens the possibility of trying to teardown something that
> was never setup.

Well... TestNG will never be able to decide by his own if an @After
should run or not if a @Before previously failed. So, most of the time
you either say: it doesn't matter for me to run @After, or it is
extremly important for me to have the @After run because I need to
clean up behind. Any other logic is specific to your test setup, and
then you will have to code it yourself.