Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Matt Welch-2

I apologize if this has been double posted. I originally tried to post
through Nabble but had issues.

I've just spent much of the weekend trying to get Maven and TestNG to
cooperate. I'm well aware of the discussion going on in the "Maven2
Status... again..." thread, but I thought that this was an attempt to
get the latest versions of TestNG and Maven working together. I
figured that I could go back a few versions and everything would be
fine.

Well... if there is a magical combo over version numbers between the
surefire plugin and TestNG that works, I can't seem to find it. The
2.2 version of surefire never actually runs my tests no matter what
version of TestNG I have set. I tried using the instructions by Jesse
Kuhnert on the TestNG site but setting the plugin version to 2.8-
SNAPSHOT and using the howardlewisship.com repository doesn't work as
the the SNAPSHOT version of the plugin had dependencies on other maven
snapshots which weren't in the howardlewisship.com repository. I tried
TestNG 4.7 with surefire 2.1.3 and 2.2; other problems.

Does anyone have a working TesNG/Maven environment right now? Care to
share?

I spent weeks convincing the rest of my team, who were long time JUnit
users, to switch to TestNG and now I'm looking like the fool. TesNG is
clearly the superior testing tool, but with the ability to automate
test runs, both locally and on our CI server, I'm kind of stuck.

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Alexandru Popescu ☀

On 2/26/07, Watter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize if this has been double posted. I originally tried to post
> through Nabble but had issues.
>
> I've just spent much of the weekend trying to get Maven and TestNG to
> cooperate. I'm well aware of the discussion going on in the "Maven2
> Status... again..." thread, but I thought that this was an attempt to
> get the latest versions of TestNG and Maven working together. I
> figured that I could go back a few versions and everything would be
> fine.
>
> Well... if there is a magical combo over version numbers between the
> surefire plugin and TestNG that works, I can't seem to find it. The
> 2.2 version of surefire never actually runs my tests no matter what
> version of TestNG I have set. I tried using the instructions by Jesse
> Kuhnert on the TestNG site but setting the plugin version to 2.8-
> SNAPSHOT and using the howardlewisship.com repository doesn't work as
> the the SNAPSHOT version of the plugin had dependencies on other maven
> snapshots which weren't in the howardlewisship.com repository. I tried
> TestNG 4.7 with surefire 2.1.3 and 2.2; other problems.
>
> Does anyone have a working TesNG/Maven environment right now? Care to
> share?
>
> I spent weeks convincing the rest of my team, who were long time JUnit
> users, to switch to TestNG and now I'm looking like the fool. TesNG is
> clearly the superior testing tool, but with the ability to automate
> test runs, both locally and on our CI server, I'm kind of stuck.

As A very quick fix I think you can set up TestNG in Maven2 through
tha Ant Maven2 plugin.
I know this is not an option for the future, but you can get it working now.

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Bill Dudney-2

I have had luck with the 2.3-SNAPSHOT version in the apache repo and
the 5.1 version of testng;

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.testng</groupId>
      <artifactId>testng</artifactId>
      <version>5.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
      <classifier>jdk15</classifier>
    </dependency>

      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>apache.org</id>
          <name>Maven Snapshots</name>
          <url>
            http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
          </url>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
          </snapshots>
        </repository>
      </repositories>

Good luck,

-bd-

On 2/28/07, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Watter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize if this has been double posted. I originally tried to post
> > through Nabble but had issues.
> >
> > I've just spent much of the weekend trying to get Maven and TestNG to
> > cooperate. I'm well aware of the discussion going on in the "Maven2
> > Status... again..." thread, but I thought that this was an attempt to
> > get the latest versions of TestNG and Maven working together. I
> > figured that I could go back a few versions and everything would be
> > fine.
> >
> > Well... if there is a magical combo over version numbers between the
> > surefire plugin and TestNG that works, I can't seem to find it. The
> > 2.2 version of surefire never actually runs my tests no matter what
> > version of TestNG I have set. I tried using the instructions by Jesse
> > Kuhnert on the TestNG site but setting the plugin version to 2.8-
> > SNAPSHOT and using the howardlewisship.com repository doesn't work as
> > the the SNAPSHOT version of the plugin had dependencies on other maven
> > snapshots which weren't in the howardlewisship.com repository. I tried
> > TestNG 4.7 with surefire 2.1.3 and 2.2; other problems.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working TesNG/Maven environment right now? Care to
> > share?
> >
> > I spent weeks convincing the rest of my team, who were long time JUnit
> > users, to switch to TestNG and now I'm looking like the fool. TesNG is
> > clearly the superior testing tool, but with the ability to automate
> > test runs, both locally and on our CI server, I'm kind of stuck.
> >

> As A very quick fix I think you can set up TestNG in Maven2 through
> tha Ant Maven2 plugin.
> I know this is not an option for the future, but you can get it working now.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

David Bernard-2

In my case it work with :
* surefire 2.2
* testng-5.1-jdk15
* and testng.xml file where I define the suite (autodetection from
surefire doesn't work)

      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <suiteXmlFiles>
            <suiteXmlFile>${basedir}/src/test/resources/testng.xml</
suiteXmlFile>
          </suiteXmlFiles>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

TslH

2007/2/28, Bill Dudney <[hidden email]>:

> I have had luck with the 2.3-SNAPSHOT version in the apache repo and
> the 5.1 version of testng;

FYI, maven-surefire 2.3 was released yesterday. Enjoy it :)

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Robert Hedin-2
Sorry to jump in here- but does that imply that the current version of TestNG (i.e. 5.5) with the current version of Maven (i.e. 2.0.5)  plus the current version of maven-surefire (i.e. surefire v2.3) is a working combo?

I ask, because I gave up on the whole maven + testng thing until they played nicely with one another-- which I'm hoping will be soon...

Thanks!

rob.

On 3/1/07, TslH <[hidden email]> wrote:

2007/2/28, Bill Dudney <[hidden email]>:

> I have had luck with the 2.3-SNAPSHOT version in the apache repo and
> the 5.1 version of testng;

FYI, maven-surefire 2.3 was released yesterday. Enjoy it :)

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Mark Derricutt
AFAIK not yet - There's work in progress to get the current 5.5 version working with surefire which I understand will be a 2.4 release shortly after this 2.3 release - at least that's my understanding.

Mark

On 3/2/07, Robert Hedin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry to jump in here- but does that imply that the current version of TestNG (i.e. 5.5) with the current version of Maven (i.e. 2.0.5)  plus the current version of maven-surefire (i.e. surefire v2.3) is a working combo?

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Brett Porter

The answer is 'sort of'. TestNG works, but there are several limitations/bugs.

- Brett

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
"Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Erez Nahir

We gave up and created our own maven-testng-plugin last week.
We were able to make Maven2/Surefire 2.2 work (using the testng.xml
option), but with major limitations:
1. The latest available version of testng for maven is 5.1
2. Surefire plugin does not provide most of the command line/ant
options of TestNG (like listeners for example)
3. Surefire reports are limited (compared to the TestNG reports)
4. Once you use Surefire2.2/TestNG5.1 with testng.xml, you can't
control the include/exclude options from the build level

We still have some issues with our in-house plugin:
- Integration with JUnit (we have a mixed test environment) is not
working yet
- Stack trace printed in a single line
- If using the testng.xml, the test cycle runs twice
- It is only for JDK1.5 (just because that is the only version we
need)

But considering the cons and pros, we just had no other option.

After we will have our plugin running for couple of weeks and stable
enough, I plan to upload it to one of the available open source
servers.

Erez.

On Mar 2, 4:20 am, "Brett Porter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The answer is 'sort of'. TestNG works, but there are several limitations/bugs.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 02/03/07, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK not yet - There's work in progress to get the current 5.5 version
> > working with surefire which I understand will be a 2.4 release shortly after
> > this 2.3 release - at least that's my understanding.
>
> > Mark
>
> > On 3/2/07, Robert Hedin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Sorry to jump in here- but does that imply that the current version of
> > TestNG (i.e. 5.5) with the current version of Maven (i.e. 2.0.5)  plus the
> > current version of maven-surefire (i.e. surefire v2.3) is a working combo?
>
> --
> Apache Maven -http://maven.apache.org
> "Better Builds with Maven" book -http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Cédric Beust ♔
Sounds like a promising start, and congratulations on doing something concrete to solve your problem.

Please keep us posted about your efforts to get a decent plug-in...

On 3/2/07, Erez Nahir <[hidden email]> wrote:

We gave up and created our own maven-testng-plugin last week.
We were able to make Maven2/Surefire 2.2 work (using the testng.xml
option), but with major limitations:
1. The latest available version of testng for maven is 5.1
2. Surefire plugin does not provide most of the command line/ant
options of TestNG (like listeners for example)
3. Surefire reports are limited (compared to the TestNG reports)
4. Once you use Surefire2.2/TestNG5.1 with testng.xml, you can't
control the include/exclude options from the build level

We still have some issues with our in-house plugin:
- Integration with JUnit (we have a mixed test environment) is not
working yet
- Stack trace printed in a single line
- If using the testng.xml, the test cycle runs twice
- It is only for JDK1.5 (just because that is the only version we
need)

But considering the cons and pros, we just had no other option.

After we will have our plugin running for couple of weeks and stable
enough, I plan to upload it to one of the available open source
servers.

Erez.

On Mar 2, 4:20 am, "Brett Porter" < [hidden email]> wrote:

> The answer is 'sort of'. TestNG works, but there are several limitations/bugs.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 02/03/07, Mark Derricutt < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK not yet - There's work in progress to get the current 5.5 version
> > working with surefire which I understand will be a 2.4 release shortly after
> > this 2.3 release - at least that's my understanding.
>
> > Mark
>
> > On 3/2/07, Robert Hedin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Sorry to jump in here- but does that imply that the current version of
> > TestNG (i.e. 5.5) with the current version of Maven (i.e. 2.0.5)  plus the
> > current version of maven-surefire ( i.e. surefire v2.3) is a working combo?
>
> --
> Apache Maven -http://maven.apache.org
> "Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

David Bernard-2

> - If using the testng.xml, the test cycle runs twice

May be stupid suggestion, do you disable surfire ?

Else, if you need help, I'll be please to contribute.

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Erez Nahir

Thanks David, I'm sure help will be needed, but I prefer hold it for a
1-2 weeks and make sure I provide a stable start.
And, yes, surefire is disabled.

Thanks again,
Erez.

On Mar 3, 12:52 pm, "David Bernard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > - If using the testng.xml, the test cycle runs twice
>
> May be stupid suggestion, do you disable surfire ?
>
> Else, if you need help, I'll be please to contribute.

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

Mark R
The maven-surefire-plugin version 2.3 and testng 5.1 are working for me.

On 2/28/07, Bill Dudney <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have had luck with the 2.3-SNAPSHOT version in the apache repo and
the 5.1 version of testng;

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.testng</groupId>
      <artifactId>testng</artifactId>
      <version>5.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
      <classifier>jdk15</classifier>
    </dependency>

      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id><a href="http://apache.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">apache.org</id>
          <name>Maven Snapshots</name>
          <url>
          </url>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
          </snapshots>
        </repository>
      </repositories>

Good luck,

-bd-

On 2/28/07, Alexandru Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Watter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize if this has been double posted. I originally tried to post
> > through Nabble but had issues.
> >
> > I've just spent much of the weekend trying to get Maven and TestNG to
> > cooperate. I'm well aware of the discussion going on in the "Maven2
> > Status... again..." thread, but I thought that this was an attempt to
> > get the latest versions of TestNG and Maven working together. I
> > figured that I could go back a few versions and everything would be
> > fine.
> >
> > Well... if there is a magical combo over version numbers between the
> > surefire plugin and TestNG that works, I can't seem to find it. The
> > 2.2 version of surefire never actually runs my tests no matter what
> > version of TestNG I have set. I tried using the instructions by Jesse
> > Kuhnert on the TestNG site but setting the plugin version to 2.8-
> > SNAPSHOT and using the <a href="http://howardlewisship.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> howardlewisship.com repository doesn't work as
> > the the SNAPSHOT version of the plugin had dependencies on other maven
> > snapshots which weren't in the <a href="http://howardlewisship.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> howardlewisship.com repository. I tried
> > TestNG 4.7 with surefire 2.1.3 and 2.2; other problems.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working TesNG/Maven environment right now? Care to
> > share?
> >
> > I spent weeks convincing the rest of my team, who were long time JUnit
> > users, to switch to TestNG and now I'm looking like the fool. TesNG is
> > clearly the superior testing tool, but with the ability to automate
> > test runs, both locally and on our CI server, I'm kind of stuck.
> >

> As A very quick fix I think you can set up TestNG in Maven2 through
> tha Ant Maven2 plugin.
> I know this is not an option for the future, but you can get it working now.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>   TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator

Re: Any combo of TestNG/Surefire that works?

David Bernard-2

Hi Erez,

Any progress about the TestNG mojo ?