Announcing TestNG 6.8.15

12

Re: Announcing TestNG 6.8.15

Surinder Madhok
I stil see the outofmemory exception when generating reports even after taking 6.8.15 and i also tried 6.8.17 but still the outofmemoryexception occurs. Please advise.

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 2:07:39 PM UTC-6, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
This is mostly a bug fix release but if you were seeing OutOfMemoryExceptions while generating reports, then you might want to update to this version (especially if you're using Selenium).

Release notes:

6.8.15:

Fixed: OutOfMemoryException while generating reports.
Fixed: GITHUB-566: Build does not fail when successPercentage for @Test is not met (Vladislav Rassokhin)
Fixed: XmlTest#setGroupInstances was not being shown in toXml().
Fixed: GITHUB-376: Some results can be lost (Konstantin Savin).
Fixed: Handle relative paths of Suite XML files properly (Nalin Makar)

Re: Announcing TestNG 6.8.15

Surinder Madhok
Cedric,

To provide more detail when the dataprovider range is large (Testing with large set of data) the generation of report fails with below error. I also tried testing on testng 6.8.21 but the problem remains. Below is the stacktrace.

	at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2367)
	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.java:130)
	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(AbstractStringBuilder.java:114)
	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:415)
	at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:132)
	at org.testng.reporters.Files.readFile(Files.java:28)
	at org.testng.reporters.Files.readFile(Files.java:20)
	at org.testng.reporters.FileStringBuffer.toString(FileStringBuffer.java:137)
	at org.testng.reporters.XMLStringBuffer.toXML(XMLStringBuffer.java:331)
	at org.testng.reporters.jq.ReporterPanel.getContent(ReporterPanel.java:46)
	at org.testng.reporters.jq.BaseMultiSuitePanel.generate(BaseMultiSuitePanel.java:24)
	at org.testng.reporters.jq.Main.generateReport(Main.java:63)
	at org.testng.TestNG.generateReports(TestNG.java:1115)
	at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.java:1074)
	at testNG.TestRunner.runTestNG(TestRunner.java:250)
	at testNG.TestRunner.runTests(TestRunner.java:198)
	at testNG.ThreadController.run(ThreadController.java:14)

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 11:37:52 AM UTC-5, Surinder Madhok wrote:
[...]

Cédric Beust ♔-2

The reporter is accumulating the reports in a string that’s too big but it’s hard to tell if it’s normal to run out of memory or if that string is within reasonable limits. Also, it depends a lot on the heap you’re using.

Could you break in Files.java:28 and see how big the StringBuilder is at that point? Alternatively, you could clone TestNG and add a log statement there to display that size and see that size in the output before it runs out of memory…

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Surinder Madhok <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Files class is part of testng jar not my class. This occurs only if the reporter log  is huge because we run tests against a larger dataset. So is this limitation from testng because I saw that this issue was fixed in 6.8.15 version per the release notes but I still see the issue.

Best,
Surinder (609) 235 6952

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I know this class is part of TestNG but you can still break inside it and inspect its variables.

I fixed one memory issue in 6.8.15 but not all: if your tests are very big, there's still potential for the reporter to run out of memory so I'd like to find out what amounts of memory we're talking about.

What heap memory are you running your tests with? Did you try to increase it?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM, surinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cedric

Files class is part of testng jar not my class. This occurs only if the reporter log  is huge because we run tests against a larger dataset. So is this limitation from testng because I saw that this issue was fixed in 6.8.15 version per the release notes but I still see the issue.

Best,
Surinder <a href="tel:%28609%29%20235%206952" value="+16092356952" target="_blank">(609) 235 6952

[...]

Some one faced the exact same issue as what i am facing.

https://github.com/cbeust/testng/issues/614

ERROR] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
[ERROR] at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:3332)
[ERROR] at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.
java:137)
[ERROR] at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(AbstractString
Builder.java:121)
[ERROR] at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:421
)
[ERROR] at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:272)
[ERROR] at org.testng.reporters.TestHTMLReporter.generateTable(TestHTMLReporter.

Best,
Surinder (609) 235 6952

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Cédric Beust ♔ <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know this class is part of TestNG but you can still break inside it and inspect its variables.

I fixed one memory issue in 6.8.15 but not all: if your tests are very big, there's still potential for the reporter to run out of memory so I'd like to find out what amounts of memory we're talking about.

What heap memory are you running your tests with? Did you try to increase it?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM, surinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cedric

Files class is part of testng jar not my class. This occurs only if the reporter log  is huge because we run tests against a larger dataset. So is this limitation from testng because I saw that this issue was fixed in 6.8.15 version per the release notes but I still see the issue.

Best,
Surinder <a href="tel:%28609%29%20235%206952">(609) 235 6952

[...]

Jason McSwain
Surinder,

What is your current java heap size configuration?  i.e. -Xmx???m or -Xmx???g.  If you are using a large dataset with large detailed results/failure messages then you will need a larger JVM heap.  My recommendation is to try with a larger heap size.  in some of my experience we had to move to 4gb heap size to accomodate our larger custom report implementation.  we noticed that it wasn't necessary when all tests passed, but when there were a bunch of failures that the report size grew drastically and we needed to have a larger JVM to support our dataset.  this may be the problem you are having.

you can provide these settings on the command line to java, via ant target, or in maven options.

If you can test this out it will help with debugging any remaining issues inside the testNG source tree.

Best Wishes,
-Jason-

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM, surinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Surinder <a href="tel:%28609%29%20235%206952" target="_blank">(609) 235 6952

[...]

I see that you responded that its fixed in beta TestNG 6.9beta 20121111_2208

https://github.com/cbeust/testng/issues/291

But i don’t see this jar anywhere, can you let me know which jar i have to use?

[...]

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝
Surinder

It would be good if you start off by answering the below question that Cedric asked